The Must Do’s For Freshman Year

The Must Dos For Freshman Year

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjc4v_XyZLPAhXHMGMKHTJrBHQQjB0IBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbhs.bedfordasd.org%2F&bvm=bv.133053837,d.cGc&psig=AFQjCNFQDXIdcZ9IRplXGhGVUS4sYwZyxA&ust=1474070226245819

It’s once again that time of the year where stores are having big clothing sales and Staples and Walmart are stocking up for one particular event: school. In schools all around the country, there is lots of talk about the incoming group of freshmen. For most, the transition is a big change, going from a school where everyone knows everyone to only knowing a certain number of people. However, lucky for you, students from YLHS have given some tips on the must do’s for freshman year.

The Must Do’s for Freshman Year:

• Join a club or sport!
  • “Join a club; you can make a ton of new friends!” says your mom or dad. Well, the other reason to join a few clubs or some sports is to be able to put it on your college application. While what your mom or dad says is true, the more you have to put on your college application, the more likely you have to get into the college of your choice. Also, by joining a club or sport you make lifelong friends and bonds that you will have for the rest of your life.
  • Ask for help!
  • Here at YLHS we have a club called Link Crew. The main purpose of their club is to help students at our school that may have any questions or concerns. Believe it or not other students might have the same question as you, so don’t be afraid to ask it! If the pace of your class is too fast for you or you’re simply not understanding the material, don’t be afraid to talk to your counselor or your teacher. The teachers will help you!
  • Meet New People!
  • Believe it or not, you’re not the only person who’s going into their first year of high school. Chances are you will find many people who feel the way you do. The key is to be nice to everyone; furthermore, keep in touch because you never know if you might one day need their help! Moreover, don’t be afraid to express yourself, try to go to all school events outside of school. Some events include sports games, plays, musicals, and even dances!

Although the anxiety of being surrounded by students older than you can be nerve wracking, the overall environment of High School is safe and meant for you to become successful. Zac Hardison’s (10) advice is “to go to all school dances!” He later elaborated by saying he had the most fun during freshman year at YLHS dances. By getting out and participating in school events you have the luxury of meeting new people, learning new things, and getting to be part of an event that you will remember for the rest of your life.