How to Prepare for the Permit Test

Tiffany Im
Many students opt to drive themselves to and from school once they get their permit/driver’s license.

Once teenagers turn 16, they romanticize the idea of finally being able to do what seemed so far-fetched into the future – driving. Music blasting, windows rolled down, screaming your favorite song with your best friend in the passenger seat – it is deemed as a staple “teenage” experience. While some feel overjoyed at finally being able to do what they see in popular media, the actual process needed to achieve this milestone can seem arduous and time-consuming. But even before you are allowed behind the wheel, the first landmark will be the instructional permit. 

Technically, you can apply for a permit when you are 15 ½ years old. I would recommend getting the permit as soon as possible. Classes will only get harder, and you will have less time, which will only lead to procrastination. First, be prepared to fill out Driver License and ID Applications through the DMV and provide appropriate documents (DMV.ca.gov). Be sure to double check and verify all information listed is correct—nothing is worse than having to visit the DMV twice.

Next, register for driver education classes. Most businesses offer both drivers ed classes and actual in-car driving lessons. Some popular driving schools in Yorba Linda are Teen Driving Academy, Signal Driving, and AP Driving School. Though you should take in the content of the course, do not stress about remembering all the information given in the long, 30-hour drivers ed courses—what you will be tested on in the permit test is directly taken from the California Driver’s Handbook provided in the DMV website.

One might ask how to study for the permit test. There will be 46 multiple-choice questions on the test. You will be allowed to get 8 questions wrong to pass. Be aware that when taking the test on a computer, it will tell you immediately after answering if you got the question correct or incorrect. I would study by memorizing the handbook—you will be tested on specific speed limits and vehicular crimes you didn’t even know existed. Be tedious with your studying and feel free to try online permit tests through the DMV website. Though the questions will not be identical, it does not hurt to get a feel for the questions you will receive on test day. 

Now you’ve endured the repetitive driver’s ed videos and anxious studying. Time to head into the office for your appointment. During this office visit, you will submit appropriate paperwork and pay the application fee of $41 (DMV.ca.gov). Then, you will give a fingerprint scan and take a vision exam. You must have the ability to see 20/40 with both eyes with or without corrective lenses (DMV.ca.gov). Next is what most people who have taken their permit regret: you will take a photograph that will show up on both your permit and driver’s license. Then, of course, you will be called up to take the permit test. If you unfortunately fail, you will have the opportunity to test again after 7 days. But don’t get too comfortable—once you fail the test 3 times, you will have to start the application process all over again. 

Dhyani Balsara (11), who just recently received a permit said about the experience: “Passing the permit test was overall pretty easy. I did not pass the first time, because I felt I was rushing. The second time I took it, I honestly just used common sense to see which answer is most accurate, and I passed!” My best advice about the permit test would be not to stress too much. But still study a copious amount, as continually going back to the DMV will be an annoyance on both parties. After getting a permit, you will be able to do the actual fun, or scary, part—getting your driver’s license—so study hard!

“Passing the permit test was overall pretty easy.”

— Dhyani Balsara (11)

View Comments (4)