Homecoming Proposals: Why They Are Memorable and How They Can Be a Hassle

Homecoming is just around the corner and approaching fast! There are only a few Saturdays until the night of October 14th, or what some may refer to as the most special night of the year. The night where students gather with their friends to get ready, take memorable pictures, and most importantly have the time of their lives. According to Mrs. Long Gallegos, our ASB activities director, the dance will feature a DJ, air hockey, cookies, candy, and a great time with your friends. 

Aside from the dance itself, a major factor as to why people truly remember homecoming, or “hoco”, is because of the unique proposals. Proposals can be as well thought out as involving multiple people in the proposal or simply asking with a poster and flowers.

Getting asked to hoco was super fun and a core memory. The sign, flowers, and setup allowed it to be a really cool experience.

— Kaelyn Mcullouch (10)

According to Kaelyn Mcullouch (10), “Getting asked to hoco was super fun and a core memory. The sign, flowers, and setup allowed it to be a really cool experience.” Furthermore, every proposal is special and will be marked as a milestone high school experience. 

In addition, hoco proposals do not need to be romantic in any way. Some of the funniest and most unique proposals are with friends. Taylor Sharp (10) shares, “I had a really fun time being asked by my friends because I didn’t feel pressured to say yes. Also, I had a lot of fun being at the dance with my best friends.” Not everyone needs a significant other to accompany them at the dance. Frequently, the most memorable time spent at dances is with your close friends.

Although asking someone to homecoming is growing in its importance, it can also be a hassle. Many of the students at YLHS are involved in sports and extracurriculars which are all time consuming, making it hard to find free time to make a creative poster. Oftentimes, it may just be the hard work of making a poster or bad penmanship that deters students from wanting to create a poster. The Wrangler notices all of the preceding struggles and is now offering to make homecoming posters for the low price of $10. This can allow anyone to ask their homecoming date with a well thought out and creative poster, all without the hassle. 

One creative idea for making a poster could be to use a play on words with your date’s favorite song. If he or she plays a sport you could also incorporate that factor into the big question. There are about a million ways to ask your date to homecoming and it will always be special and memorable. If the actual creation of the poster becomes too much of an inconvenience, reach out to Mrs. Shay in room 370 and fill out this Google Form, and you are promised a creative poster.