Inglewood Sisters in Search of Blood Marrow Transplant

Despite+the+horrific+pain+Kimora+and+Kylie+Van+Sciver+undergo+as+they+fight+sickle+cell+disease%2C+the+two+show+their+bravery+with+their+bright%2C+infectious+smiles.+

Courtesy of CBS Los Angeles

Despite the horrific pain Kimora and Kylie Van Sciver undergo as they fight sickle cell disease, the two show their bravery with their bright, infectious smiles.

Riley Pietsch, Editor-in-Chief

Recently, news outlets have been infested with topics such as the deadly virus plaguing the world, COVID-19, and the presidential election that will soon take place in November. Sammy Baloch (12) agrees that, while these are very important subjects that must be covered by the media, “smaller-scale, local news has been overlooked.”

In Inglewood, a city in southwestern Los Angeles not far from Yorba Linda High School, two young sisters have been desperately searching for a matching candidate for a blood marrow transplant. Kimora Van Sciver, 12, and Kylie Van Sciver, 8, suffer from a rare sickle cell disease, which according to the CDC, causes “the red blood cells [to] become hard and sticky and look like a C-shaped farm tool called a ‘sickle.’” This disease is primarily seen in African American individuals, which unfortunately could have played a role in the girl’s diagnosis (CDC). 

Kimora, who is described as a very normal 12-year-old, loving science, and beauty, was hospitalized on October 15 due to problems regarding this disease. While still in the hospital, she did a video-interview with CBSN Los Angeles, which provided the information in this article. During her time in the hospital, she was “diagnosed with a vascular necrosis” and told she has “a lack of flow of blood.” This lack of blood flow has caused very little blood to flow to her hip bone, resulting in her bones being “inflamed, swollen.”

Due to these complications, Kimora can only walk with the aid of crutches, as her hip is not receiving sufficient blood flow. It is likely that she will need a hip replacement as soon as the end of the year. Destiny Van Sciver, Kimora and Kylie’s mother, puts it quite simply when she explains that her daughter’s “bone is dying.”

Not only are these girls burdened by the quest to find a suitable transplant contender, but they are also in great amounts of pain. Kimora explained to CBSN Los Angeles that “When it flares up, [she’s] in a lot of pain.” While this intense pain caused her to be hospitalized, Kimora displays immense bravery as she reminds that she is “pushing through it to spread awareness.”  

Due to the unpredictability of Kimora’s condition, she has spent the majority of her life periodically in a hospital. The girl’s mother explains that she “didn’t even know what it was until [her] children were born.”

While hospital visits may temporarily help the girl’s pain subside, a transplant will be the only guaranteed remedy. Together with the help of DKMS, a bone marrow donor program, the family is optimistic that they will find a match for their daughters. 

Kimora explained that with the help of a transplant “It will make sure [she] can live [her] life the way [she] want[s] to live [her] life, reduce all… hospital visits and [she’ll] just be truly very happy” (CBS Los Angeles). 

Until these girls find an eligible donor, they will continue to seek hospital visits and pain. Sickle cell disease remains cureless, so if you are interested in knowing whether you are an eligible donor for Kimora and Kylie, visit https://dkmsgetinvolved.org/virtualDrive/sistersister to help these young girls lead a healthy and painless life.