Why Do People Listen to Podcasts?

The Kelce brothers talk about sports as well as their personal lives on their shared podcast, and people tune in every week just to hear them have a conversation.
YouTube

There are endless ways people can entertain themselves: watching television, reading books, or even exercising. However, one pastime has gained tremendous attraction, surprisingly especially among teenagers: podcasts. Podcasts are essentially just someone speaking into a microphone talking about any topic you can think of. Some of the more popular podcasts are either about sports, health and wellness, or even podcasts with celebrities and/or influencers. The real question is, why do teenagers like to listen to podcasts?

With so many different options for teenagers to entertain themselves, it can be shocking to many how podcasts make that list along with the various social media platforms that are at teenagers’ feet. However, one of the many reasons people listen to podcasts is because they can multitask with it. For example, someone can easily listen to podcasts while doing chores, driving, or even getting ready in the morning. Practically while doing anything you can listen to a good podcast. Faith Alam (11) said that

“[she] enjoys listening to podcasts because it is something that, besides music, she can listen to while doing daily tasks, and it can sometimes be more entertaining than music!”

— Faith Alam (11)

As mentioned before, there are different types of podcasts (the most popular being sports, health and wellness, and entertainment. One of the most popular sports podcasts is one hosted by the famous National Football League (NFL) brothers, Jason and Travis Kelce. Their podcast is called New Heights with Jason and Travis Kelce, and they discuss all things football such as the draft, the season, and updates after every game, especially involving the Philadelphia Eagles and the Kansas City Chiefs, which the brothers are/have been a part of. People who love sports and like to stay updated on the NFL listen to this podcast weekly, and it is also fun for people to listen to if they just want updates on the Kelce brothers’ lives.

Another type of podcast that has a lot of popularity are health and wellness podcasts. Think of these podcasts as self help books but in podcast form! A very popular health and wellness podcast is one hosted by Tay and Taylor Lautner named The Squeeze. The podcast’s favorite motto is “When life gives you lemons, what do you do with them? Over here at The Squeeze, we talk about it!” In the podcast, the Lautners talk all about life and self help topics.

The last category of podcasts that people listen to a lot are entertainment podcasts. One of the most popular entertainment podcasts at the moment is Hot Mess by Alix Earle. Earle is a Tiktok influencer that gained fame around early 2023, and people love to listen to her podcast just to listen about her life and advice she gives to young adults and teenagers everywhere.

As one can see, podcasts can be listened to by almost anyone because of their versatility! Whether you’re a sports fan or just want to be entertained in a different way, podcasts are the thing for you!