The Boycott on Chick-Fil-A

Opinion Piece on Practical Effects of the Boycott

People protesting with signs outside of Chick-Fil-A(photo courtesy of The Socialist Worker)

Wayne Chan, Editor-in-Chief

In 2012, the LGBT community called a boycott against the fast-food chain Chick-Fil-A. Now in 2019, the LGBT community is again calling for the boycott of Chick-Fil-A for donating to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and The Salvation Army.

The boycott is just another pointless outrage stemmed from an unjust double standard.

To start, it isn’t unjust to be Christian. Simply donating to Christian organizations is not a valid reason to call for a boycott. However, it is the fundamental right of any American to engage in whatever peaceful political action they desire to support their personal views. The heinous and unreasonable logical fallacy behind the boycott is that the Salvation Army and FCA are both incredibly charitable donations, and thus, receive donations from all over.

In the past the Salvation Army and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes have provided aid and services to millions of people. The Salvation Army has members providing aid and relief to people across the globe, especially after disasters and other crises such. Each year, the Salvation Army spend billions of dollars assisting people across the globe, more good than the boycott will ever accomplish. Moreover, the claim that the Salvation Army is anti-LGBT is similarly illogical as, according to the Daily Caller, the Salvation Army has spent millions providing relief to LGBT communities, giving transgenders and homosexuals shelter in areas like Las Vegas and Winnipeg where they might be particularly vulnerable to rejection, discrimination, and violence. The FCA is similarly charitable. On our very campus, they have a club to spread positive messages, usually revolving around Christianity. They have athletes sign pledges to stay away from drugs, alcohol, and other delinquent activities.

Personally, I believe that donations to such organizations should be commended because they are dedicated to noble actions that provide practical and pragmatic assistance. I can comprehend that because Christianity ardently champions the traditional family over LGBT communities, people would opposed Christian organizations; however, these two organizations are incredibly charitable and provide life-saving relief to people across the globe. The donations would only benefit the world, and the actions enabled by the donations are bigger than political and personal disputes.

Moreover, because those organizations are such charitable organizations, they receive donations from corporations everywhere. For example, Amazon, Home Depot, American Airlines, Bed Bath and Beyond, and hundreds more corporations have donated to either one of both of these organizations. Despite the widespread support for these organizations, the boycott has only been directed at Chick-Fil-A. It demonstrates that the boycott is simply because Chick-Fil-A is a Christian Corporation and thus, contradicting the fundamental ideology of the