Grammy Takeover

Grammy Takeover

Above, special guest Michelle Obama makes a surprise appearance on music's biggest night.

The Rolling Stone

The Rolling Stone

The Rolling Stone

Brandon Russell, Editor In Chief

Music’s biggest night came with a seize of power from women all over the music world. With host Alicia Keys taking the spotlight, her presence as the host was seen as one of the biggest breakthroughs in that of award show history. This year was a show of many firsts. For the first time ever, a hip hop song won best song of the year, more than half of the performances were women artists, and surprise guest Michelle Obama made an appearance on stage to promote the strength of the women in the music world.

Whether it be making movements for women in the recording industry, to that of the acting industry, many artists, and influencers, including Lady Gaga and Dua Lipa, raised awareness to mental health that goes along with not only the real world, but in the music industry as well. Cole Smith (12) loved the “steps that artists are taking to draw more awareness to the deeper side of their industry.” Now, fans can fully begin to understand the real problems that arise within the entirety of the music world.

As for the awards that were given out, it was all too familiar to years past.

Best Country Song: “Space Cowboy” by Kacey Musgraves

Best Rap Song: “God’s Plan” by Drake

Best Rap Album: “Invasion of Privacy” by Cardi B

Best Pop Vocal Album: “Sweetener” by Ariana Grande

Best New Artist: Dua Lipa

Song of the Year: “This is America” by Donald Glover and Ludwig Goransson

Best Country Album: “Golden Hour” by Kacey Musgraves

Album of the Year: “Golden Hour” by Kacey Musgraves

Best R&B Album: “H.E.R” by H.E.R

In years past, the winners of these awards have been known ultimately for songs other than the ones they won the award for. For instance, “God’s Plan” by Drake, was a song that came out relatively early in 2018, and he received an award for it in the year 2019. However, the success that these artists receive are ones ultimately achieved by the great writers and producers that go along with the artists.

Austin Sinclair (12) enjoyed the many “performances that continued to come on in between each of the awards given.” Performances from Post Malone and many more, allowed past songs to come back to the spotlight once again. Although many artists didn’t ultimately win the category they wanted, many artists walked away with new side pieces to add to their trophy shelves.

Brandon Russell, editor-in-chief

Brandon Russell is a senior at Yorba Linda High School. He is currently an editor-in-chief for The Wrangler. At this point in his life, he has many aspirations...