Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

Holiday Traditions with Mrs. Núñez

The library and classrooms are getting festive for the holidays as everyone on campus can’t wait for the break just around the corner!

Christmas is just around the corner with only a few school days left until winter break! The holidays are an important time for many families, as they often include gatherings, gift-giving, and warm hearts. Each family has unique traditions, such as having a special Christmas breakfast, choosing a Christmas tree, or a different tradition of other cultures.

Each family has special celebrations of the holidays, and Mrs. Núñez’s favorite way of welcoming Christmas is by enjoying a big breakfast with the girls in her family. Sharing a meal, whether it is breakfast, lunch, or dinner, is a popular tradition held by many families, as it allows for the opportunity to get together with loved ones. 

Following breakfast, she embarks upon making tamales. A tamale is a traditional Mesoamerican dish made of masa, a dough made from corn, which is then steamed in either corn husk or banana leaves. According to Mrs. Núñez, she and her family buy the special dough to make tamales from a shop where they have to wait in line for three hours. Although this process may appear tedious, it is a tradition that has become part of her family. Gatherings for Mrs. Núñez are typically held at either her or her brother’s house where her family proceeds to make tamales for Christmas dinner. Making tamales is a staple tradition in many Mexican households. Mrs. Núñez (S) especially enjoys the holidays because “Just having the time off to enjoy family is my favorite.”  

In addition to family gatherings, the tradition of gift-giving is a crucial factor, especially for younger children. In the United States, the story is that Santa and his reindeer come when all the children are asleep on Christmas Eve. They deliver gifts to the kids on the nice list and leave coal in the stockings of the naughty kids. On the other hand, in Mexico, the Three Wise Men are thought to bring gifts for the children on the sixth of January. Mrs. Núñez’s family has a take on both cultures celebrating Santa and the Three Wise Men. On Christmas day, Santa brings gifts for Mrs. Núñez’s children; on the sixth, her children put out an old shoe and the Three Wise Men bring them gifts as well. With this tradition, her children get the experience of both cultures and receive double the gifts!

Christmastime is one of my favorite times of the year because I get to spend time with my friends and family, while also getting a break from school.

— Gabby Chavez (10)

To conclude, the holidays are a great time for catching up and spending time with friends and family. Gabby Chavez (10) says, “Christmastime is one of my favorite times of the year because I get to spend time with my friends and family, while also getting a break from school. This being said, Merry Christmas or Feliz Navidad!