The Resurgence of the Art of Filmmaking

9mousai.com
Is the art form of film returning in recent years? More movies are leaving societal norms behind to create something new and find the missing piece of modern media.

Ever since the creation of film in 1833, the art form has evolved more than we could have ever imagined. Every few decades, we hit a breakthrough that sends film in a new direction. The medium is used in all sorts of different storytelling, becoming one of the most widely appreciated art forms of the century.

Since 2016, almost all aspects of daily life have evolved from what they once were. Groceries can be picked up for you, phones have three (or more) cameras, and we practically have the whole world at our fingertips. However, the film industry has recently hit a standstill. What once worked for movies and TV shows now leaves audiences wanting more, but what is missing?

We are currently in the in-between stage of two eras. Directors and filmmakers are experimenting with what this new era of film might consist of; hence, all the more artistic films have been released in recent years. Movies like Mother! (2017) and Hereditary (2018) breathed new life into the horror genre films, relying more on the human psyche rather than gimmicky jump scares.

[Content creators] make it sound so interesting that I have to go see it myself… and most of the time, they’re right! Anytime I’ve followed a recommendation to an indie artist, I’ve never been disappointed.

— Ethan Verdigo (12)

More indie artists are beginning to emerge and gain popularity because society is looking for something new and exciting. “I keep seeing these underground artists being hyped up on Tik Tok and Instagram,” Ethan Verdigo (12) shares, “They make it sound so interesting that I have to go see it myself… and most of the time, they’re right! Anytime I’ve followed a recommendation to an indie artist, I’ve never been disappointed.” People are slowly moving away from the safe Hallmark films and are venturing more into the unknown.

Sure, the classics will always be entertaining. Action movies will always be filled with action; family movies will always be wholesome. But are these movies nearly as enjoyable as they used to be? Is it that the quality of movies has decreased, or is it just that we’ve gotten used to them? Maybe our inherent nature to continue to grow has caused us to look for the next big thing.

I value artistic films now more than ever, as they give me the connection I long for with other modern Hollywood movies. When a director puts their whole soul into something, it’s almost like a piece of them lives through their work. You can feel the humanity behind specific stories, the personal sorrow and grief behind a screenplay, and the joys of life through the way a scene is shot. It’s almost as if the work is alive itself, which is something you don’t feel very often with modern productions.

A real work of art is something that makes you think. Something that keeps you up at night, considering and contemplating and debating the world and your place in it. A real work of art enlightens you, broadens your horizons, and gives you a new perspective on your life. It makes you appreciate the things you have and the people you love, and most importantly, it makes you view yourself in a new light.