Red Cross Making an Impact

photo courtesy of redcrossclub.weebly.com

Lily Rajaee, photojournalist

Each year, Red Cross Club at YLHS amazes students with its great number of events and successful projects. With over sixty active members, Red Cross has managed to bring the members together in order to create change both in our community and on a global level.

One of the most memorable fundraisers Red Cross hosted this year was the Krispy Kreme fundraiser that was held numerous times on campus. Students were eager to fill our their orders of tasty donuts, while also helping Red Cross fundraise for their Measles Awareness campaign. In addition to raising funds for the Measles Initiative, some of the money was used to help support Leadership Development Camp (LDC) scholarships, which will ultimately go back to the students and help make the future brighter and safer for all.

In addition to the successful fundraising campaigns, Red Cross also participated in an abundant amount of community service events, which gave students an opportunity to be active in their local community. Red Cross members had the opportunity to volunteer at marathons and gain community service hours while assisting the marathon organizations make sure their event ran smoothly. Members also volunteered at an event where they had the opportunity to pack two weeks of meals for the homeless in the Santa Ana area. This service project allowed students to feel the joy that comes with directly giving back to the community and helping those in need.

Additionally, Red Cross has also, of course, hosted another successful blood drive, where students and adults both came together and donated blood in order to assist those that need the blood for medical attention. Red Cross was grateful for the great turnout and great number of eager donors. It is truly amazing how this organization can encourage students to step up and participate in self-gratifying events like the Blood Drive.

This year, students also attended the annual Children’s Safety Festival, which is a holiday festival for underprivileged children and their families. Red Cross members volunteered at this event by going to Santa Ana and helping our the organization with their mission to make an impact on the less fortunate individuals’ lives. This certainly make the families have a better holiday season by spreading joy throughout the community.

Vincent Serrano (11) says he likes Red Cross because “it gives him many opportunities to give back to the community.” Red Cross Club would surely not be as successful as it is today if it weren’t for the dedicated and hardworking members.