Procrastination – Is there a Solution?

Safety4Sea.com
As time passes, tasks continuously are being put off for later.

Procrastination lurks in the corners of every student’s life and feels like it can not be controlled. It often diminishes the sparks of motivation that students have left. Its impact can show through and affect relationships with friends, family, teachers, and peers. As deadlin

Procrastination eats away at me and gives me so much stress, and it is hard to keep up with my tasks. What helps me through it though is to make a schedule, divide big tasks into small ones, and sticking to my plan.’

— Sydney Fong (12)

es approach and tasks pile up, it can really mess with our communication and add extra stress for no good reason. But what exactly is it about procrastination that makes it such a challenge, and more importantly, how can we overcome it?

According to McLean Hospital, a psychiatric institution at the forefront of mental health research, procrastination is a complex phenomenon rooted in countless underlying fears and anxieties. It can stem from fearing the unknown, the criticism you may receive, and the idea of falling short of expectations. The dread of not achieving the desired outcome or facing disappointment can paralyze individuals, preventing them from taking the initial steps toward a task. The role of perfectionism in procrastination is also very important. The relentless pursuit of perfection can be paralyzing, as individuals may be afraid of not meeting their own impossibly high standards. This pursuit of flawlessness can create a cycle of delay, as the fear of producing anything less than perfect can lead to avoidance. All of these examples can lead individuals to put off tasks and projects. 

But how does society overcome this procrastination epidemic? There is a simple answer to this problem; planning ahead. A student at Yorba Linda High School, Sydney Fong (12), shares what she does to prevent procrastination for herself. “Procrastination eats away at me and gives me so much stress, and it is hard to keep up with my tasks. What helps me through it though is to make a schedule, divide big tasks into small ones, and stick to my plan.” It’s crucial to acknowledge though that overcoming procrastination is not a one-size-fits-all endeavor. Different strategies work for different individuals, and it may take some trial and error to find what works best. Some may benefit from techniques like the Pomodoro Technique (like Sydney), which involves breaking work into timed intervals with short breaks in between. Others may find success in utilizing mindfulness practices to stay present and focused on the task at hand.

At the end of the day, procrastination is a pervasive challenge that affects individuals across all walks of life, often hindering progress and stopping motivation. Its impact ripples through personal relationships and sometimes, even a person’s workplace, creating unnecessary tension and missed opportunities. Understanding the underlying fears and anxieties that fuel procrastination is a crucial first step towards overcoming this phenomenon.

View Comments (12)