Anyone Can Cook!

Courtesy of Disney

With enough practice, anyone can learn to cook their favorite dishes!

Tiana Salisbury, Editor

Yorba Linda High School is home to the Culinary Arts & Hospitality Management Programs, which allow students to take culinary classes at school. Not many high schools offer culinary classes today; in the 1950s, many high schools offered home economics classes to teach students basic household skills, but these classes have declined over the last few decades (Insider). Cooking remains an important skill for people to master, so let’s explore the benefits of teaching culinary arts in high school.

One of the most obvious benefits of learning how to cook in high school is the knowledge gained through learning how to use various kitchen equipment. Growing up, some parents might not allow their children to help out in the kitchen because of the fear of a child hurting themself with a knife or other sharp tools. Additionally, many teenagers do not feel motivated to cook their own meals because of the increased popularity of frozen foods. A study by Lancaster University reveals that many high schoolers might not know how to cook anything other than microwavable dishes. To solve this problem, high schoolers can develop their cooking skills through culinary classes during which students gain hands-on experience while cooking delicious treats.

My experiences in the Culinary Program have been amazing! Culinary was easily one of my favorite classes of the day.

— Megan Chou (12)

Culinary classes also provide a necessary break from academic subjects like math and history. For students with schedules packed with stressful subjects, taking a culinary class can be a refreshing way to unwind amid a long school day. Megan Chou (12) agrees and adds, “My experiences in the Culinary Program have been amazing! Culinary was easily one of my favorite classes of the day.” Moreover, culinary classes allow students to use their creativity while experimenting with different recipes. Students can combine various ingredients to create various flavors, which strengthens critical thinking and problem-solving skills. While most classes do not provide room for students to incorporate their ideas into their work, culinary classes encourage students to think innovatively.

By understanding how to cook, students can also learn how to eat healthier. Culinary classes not only teach students how to prepare various dishes, but they also educate students on nutrition. Today, many teenagers overlook the unhealthiness of the food they eat, leading to a rise in obesity; according to the State of Childhood Obesity, “Roughly one in six youth have obesity.” This alarming statistic can be lowered by teaching students more about nutrition in high school. By understanding the importance of maintaining a nutritious diet, students will be encouraged to eat healthier foods.

Even if your high school does not offer a culinary class, you should try learning to cook at home through online tutorials and recipes to master this valuable life skill. With enough practice, anyone can learn to cook their favorite dishes!