How to Have the High School Experience: Quarantine Edition

Courtesy of YLHS ASB

ASB made posters for the canned food drive that many students participated in.

Suhani Bhanvadia, Section Editor

Although students are stuck at home and aren’t able to have fun with their friends in person, having the high school experience is still possible. Most people hope to have an experience similar to those that they see in movies. With Yorba Linda High School’s incredible ASB, students have been able to have those experiences. But during quarantine, this may look a little different.

One of the many traditional activities that Mustangs can take part in is a spirit week. On October 4th, YLHS’s Instagram, @ylhsmustangs, posted about their virtual spirit week to keep students involved with school spirit. Themes included school colors, athletic clothes, white-out, pajamas, and fall festivities. Staying involved with small school spirit activities can make online school feel somewhat close to normal. Especially freshman, who unfortunately have not been able to have a normal introduction to YLHS school spirit, have the opportunity to participate and see what being a Mustang is all about.

Not only has YLHS’s ASB been making efforts to keep students active, but yearbook has also made their own plans. Throughout the school year, the yearbook team makes sure to capture memories during school events. But online, yearbook still manages to keep students involved and plans to put together memories including students’ favorite shows, DIYs, hikes, and more. Students can still have their memories saved in the yearbook by sending pictures and quotes to @ylhs.yearbook on Instagram.

since our meetings are on zoom now, I feel like more people want to get involved because it also allows more introverted people to be involved with school clubs. They might have their cameras off during meetings, but we would rather have that than them not coming to meetings in person because they are too shy.

— Amber Han (11)

Another big aspect of the high school experience is school clubs. Normally, clubs have meetings during lunch or after school, but after the virtual club rush on October 1st and 2nd, many clubs have decided to host zoom meetings at various times to give students the opportunity to stay involved from home.

Amber Han (11), the treasurer for self-care club, says “since our meetings are on zoom now, I feel like more people want to get involved because it also allows more introverted people to be involved with school clubs. They might have their cameras off during meetings, but we would rather have that than them not coming to meetings in person because they are too shy.” Online club meetings allow students who normally don’t participate in school activities to finally get involved.

As PYLUSD announces the return to school planned for November 9th, many students are excited about finally having a more normal high school experience. Although not everyone will be having a hybrid schedule, we can expect to see YLHS plan more events to keep school spirit alive and students involved.