Five Things Emotionally Intelligent People Don’t Do

Emotionally+Intelligent+people+find+a+healthy+balance+between+leading+with+their+feelings+and+with+their+head.+They+don%E2%80%99t+let+one+overpower+the+other.+
WNYC
Emotionally Intelligent people find a healthy balance between leading with their feelings and with their head. They don’t let one overpower the other.
  1. They don’t’ let other thoughts sway them

Emotionally intelligent people are grounded. They take time to reflect on their beliefs, thoughts, and opinions, and if they do change their mind or have a different thought it’s of their own accord. Not because a video or a person told or influenced them to think that way. Today, with how much social conditioning we’re surrounded by, this is more difficult than not. If you want to be someone who’s grounded in their thoughts and opinions, you’d have to be very intentional about making time for reflecting and not being online as much. 

2. They don’t spend their time on just anybody 

Emotionally intelligent people know their worth. They know what they have to offer and they don’t spend their time on low quality people because they themselves are not low quality. They understand that trust is built over time, and they choose wisely who they want to build trust with. Though it might be hard to say no to people who want to spend time with you even though you know they’re not good for you, it will seriously benefit you and your peace in the long run. 

3. They don’t try to prove how right or smart they are

Allow your actions and work to speak for themself. You do not need to try and prove to others you are better than them or smarter than them because it takes away from your successes. If you were right about a question on a test, don’t boast about the fact that you knew it was the correct answer when everyone else thought it was wrong. Let your grade speak for itself. People don’t want to be around people who make them feel dumb or incompetent and they also don’t want to be around someone who needs all the attention and praise. 

4. They don’t force happiness 

Happiness is fleeting. It’s not a checkbox on your to-do list but rather a way of life. Emotionally intelligent people understand this. They let themselves feel all the emotions that come with life: guilt, fear, anger, sadness, because they understand that happiness is fleeting. And that to feel truly happy you will need to experience other feelings first. 

5. They understand that them and only them are responsible for their feelings 

Emotionally intelligent people don’t blame the universe for their angry outburst. They look inwards instead and do the work to manage their emotions. They don’t passively let things happen or let things go because then you get stuck in a state of thinking other people or the universe are responsible for fixing your problems.

There’s a misconception that being emotionally intelligent simply means that you’re nice, when that is not the case. The big takeaway should be that emotionally intelligent people recognize and validate their emotions, but they don’t let them take over their life.

“If you want to be someone who’s grounded in their thoughts and opinions, you’d have to be very intentional about making time for reflection and straying from online content.”

— Anjani Bodar (12)