The College Decision Experience

College banners are lined up with hopes and dreams of acceptance
University Prep

As any college applicant knows, waiting for college decisions is a time of pure anxiety, stress, and excitement. The transition from high school to college can be scary, but also extremely exciting and fulfilling. It’s truly a roller coaster of emotions. When I opened my acceptance letter, which came in the form of a video, I was stunned. A wave of excitement and pride washed over me and bliss overcame me. There is no exact feeling as when you open a college decision and see the “congratulations!” at the top of the page. 

On the other side, the dreaded college rejection letter. I have experienced that as well this year, as most if not all students have. I was rejected from one college–I knew it was a far reach. I didn’t really expect to get in, but part of me had hope. When I opened my rejection letter, it didn’t feel as bad as I expected it to because I knew deep down that I wouldn’t get in. Some of my friends had different experiences. I know many people who were absolutely heartbroken about getting rejected from their dream college. It’s a tough thing to go through and a hard thing to watch. The rejection experience is filled with sadness, disappointment, and anger. I hope none of you ever feel this way, but I want you to know that you are not alone if it ever does. 

In addition, the waitlist. Some would argue that the waitlist is worse than getting rejected. I believe that the waitlist is better, it’s another opportunity to get accepted into the school. It’s not ideal, and it’s incredibly annoying, but it is not a rejection. Yet, at least. It’s difficult to get off of the waitlist. Also, the deadline to commit to most colleges is before the waitlist decision. Some waitlist decisions are later in the summer and give basically no time to find roommates and give you last pick at classes. It’s a messed up thing to get waitlisted, but it’s not the end of the world

I didn’t truly believe what was happening until I visited campus. It didn’t feel real until then.

— Emma Reiss

It becomes surreal when you apply to college. Senior Emma Reiss claims that “didn’t truly believe what was happening until she visited campus.” In my experience, I always knew that I would be going to college, I just didn’t truly believe that I was going until I had officially committed. However, as college gets closer, I have begun to feel worry and dread. I feel more fear than I have ever felt at the thought of leaving my family for good. It is a huge jump from waking up everyday and seeing them, to seeing them once every couple of months. I just want to emphasize that it is normal to feel scared. Movies, shows, and other people’s stories make it feel like the only feeling you should feel when you go to college is excitement. You should feel excited! But everyone’s experience is different, and it is also alright to feel nervous and afraid. I wish you all luck when this time comes to you. Whatever happens, remember that when a door closes, another one opens. Try to make the most of the opportunities you are given!