What is the Best Way to Study for AP Exams?

The AP exams are approaching soon and it is crucial to start studying in the most efficient way.
(Grecia Chavez)

It is now gearing towards the time of year where students need to start preparing for the AP exams. Many people, especially 9th graders or first time AP students, begin to worry about the upcoming exam because they feel lost on how to prepare for it. Others may be taking multiple AP classes and feel it is a lot to take on. Even though every class is different, studying for the AP exam can become much more manageable and efficient with a good strategy in mind.  

There is no “best” way to study for the AP exams. Everyone is different and may need to cater their study methods to how they learn and absorb the material best. However, with the steps suggested from The Princeton’s Review “Get Ready for AP Exams,” the task of studying can become less stressful. Firstly, make sure you start studying at least 1 to 3 months before the exam. The AP exam covers material from throughout the entire year and has both multiple-choice and free-response questions. This means that you need enough time to cover all the material and to practice your test-taking and writing skills. By the time spring break rolls around, usually a month before the test, students should increase their study time and cover the topics more in depth. 

If students are taking multiple AP exams, it is crucial to make a schedule. Specific hours and days should be devoted for different classes. For example, Thursday evenings may be set aside to review for an AP Lang class and Sunday mornings to AP Spanish. It is also important to study the material in small loads so that it is easier to balance and so students can actually remember what they take in. These tips are equally useful to students with only one AP exam, Kayla Duke (10) says, “Mapping out my study time for my AP Euro exam has made the process less stressful for me.” Remember, cramming in hours of studying at the last minute will be fruitless since you will not have been able to absorb it.

Mapping out my study time for my AP Euro exam has made the process less stressful for me.”

— Kayla Duke (10)

Another tip is to start with your old material. For effective learning, it is important to refresh your memory regularly. On the other hand, approach new material knowing you will need to understand it for the AP test. This means writing extra helpful notes for yourself throughout the lesson and highlighting key ideas. Excellent resources to help you study are your past assignments and tests, lecture and reading notes, and the class textbook from which you can review unit summaries or areas in which you previously struggled. It is also a great idea to invest in an AP prep book that can guide you in your studying and help you practice different types of questions. Additionally, students can utilize the online College Board AP Classroom, where they can learn more information about their exams and gain new resources. Lastly, forming study groups or getting tutoring can be beneficial to students. 

All in all, it is vital that students do what works best for them. Nevertheless, following these tips can help immensely keep them on track and make their studying more productive. Always know that you can ask your teacher for guidance, as they are there to help!