Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Countdown

Christmas Movies That Belong in the Hall of Fame

Nikole Galea
Why watch one, when you could watch all of them!

What’s the Christmas season without Christmas movies? Nothing screams the Christmas season more than snuggling up in warm fuzzy blankets with a good old cup of hot cocoa in your hands as you delve into your favorite Christmas movie.

Here are our top 10!

• ELF (2003):

Buddy, a human raised by elves at the North Pole, begins his journey to New York City to find his real father. Buddy constantly attempts to spread Christmas cheer with his singing, joy, and elf skills, turning the entirety of the Big Apple into a winter wonderland.

• Home Alone (1990):

When young and naive Kevin McCallister is accidentally left behind during Christmas vacation by his humongous family, he is left to defend his home from two mentally slow burglars using his crafty booby traps. This is a true Christmas classic.

• A Christmas Story (1983):

This movie, set in the 1940s, is a tale that follows young Ralphie’s quest for what he deems the ultimate Christmas gift—an official Red Ryder carbine-action, 200-shot range model air rifle. A Christmas story is filled with interesting family dynamics and memorable moments -about all sorts of nonsense whether it’s your dad buying a leg lamp or getting your tongue stuck to a pole- it truly captures the purity of a crazy chaotic holiday season.

• A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965):

Charlie Brown is seeking the true meaning of Christmas amid the money-making goals of the season. With his original friend group and a scrawny Christmas tree, this timeless cartoon special explores the spirit of giving and the joy of being together.

•  The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993):

One of the most famous stop-motion movies, created by Tim Burton, follows the main character, Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King of HalloweenTown, who discovers Christmas and decides to bring his spooky twist to everyone celebrating this holiday. Although it is a little dark it mixes Halloween and Christmas magic.

• Arthur Christmas (2011):

In this modern cartoon journey, Santa’s energetic son, Arthur, sets out on a mission to deliver a lost present before Christmas morning. The whole movie is lively and filled with humor, and it explores the importance of every child feeling the magic of Christmas: a deserving and empowering feeling.

• A Christmas Carol:

There have been plays and many movies regarding Old Ebenezer Scrooge, ,a miserable rich man who hates Christmas and is constantly taking from people, especially the happy carolers and families. In an attempt to change his ways even in his old age, Christmas Past, Present, and Future visit him to acknowledge what the season of happiness means to others and what a lack of happiness could bring.

• Klaus (2019):

Another famous animated film shows the very beginning of how Santa Claus came to be. It begins with the unlikely friendship between two very different characters and is set in a snowy, isolated village:the perfect location for somewhere like young Santy Klaus to grow up. This movie places a new perspective on Santa and his origin story.

• Polar Express (2004):

Who hasn’t heard of Polar Express? Whether you saw it in elementary school or in a meme, this movie is timeless because of the cheer of children and Santa Claus. This movie revolves around a magical train that picks up kid after kid from their house to go on an even more magical adventure to the North Pole, ll on Christmas Eve. It was originally a book but eventually adapted into the wonderful movie we know and love today.

• The Santa Claus (1994):

When Scott Calvin accidentally causes Santa’s death, he discovers a mysterious “clause” that demands him to take on the role of the jolly old elf, found on old Santa’s business card. This bittersweet comedy explores the challenges Santa has by leaving his life behind but also the joys of giving and the Christmas spirit.

Whether you are chilling with your family and friends or flying out on your holiday vacation, you could be watching any of these movies and more, Ella Grey (11) says that while she is “relaxing away I’ll be watching A Charlie Brown Christmas, because of all the serotonin little snoopy gives me”

“relaxing away I’ll be watching A Charlie Brown Christmas, because of all the serotonin little snoopy gives me”

— Ella Grey

Let’s debate, what’s your favorite?