Holiday Treats to Make for Christmas

Decorated sugar cookies are displayed on a plate on Christmas morning.
Wilton Blog

Christmas is a time of joy and family. One way to bring joy to your family is through sweet treats. It is thoughtful to put time and effort into making these goods and will no doubt bring happiness to whoever you decide to gift them to. Or, enjoy it yourself. Here are some of the best holiday treats to make this Christmas season.

First is what we call Christmas Trash. All it requires is some Chex mix cereal, M&M’s, Bugle chips, pretzels, and three bags of white chocolate. I know it’s odd, but it is a tradition in my family to pour all of the ingredients except for the white chocolate into a clean trash bag. That’s why we call it Christmas Trash. Melt the white chocolate down in a bowl, and once all the ingredients are gathered in the bag, pour a bit of the chocolate into the bag and toss the bag around to get the chocolate to coat each piece. Keep adding chocolate until it’s gone. Then, add the mix to cute bags and tie a ribbon on the top, and I’m sure your friends and family will love it. You can find similar recipes online if you look up Christmas Trash!

Next, the classic lemon loaf is always a fan favorite. You can find countless recipes online for a good lemon loaf, but I recommend Plated Cravings or RecipeTin Eats. A glazed lemon loaf will make anyone smile and is a great treat to bring for Christmas morning. 

Of course, you can always go right with a chocolate chip cookie. Naomi Peralta (12) claims that her “…family loves her chocolate chip cookies. [She] brings them to Christmas dinner each year, and there are never any leftovers.” A popular recipe is the Nestle recipe printed on the back of the Nestle chocolate chip bag. There are numerous chocolate chip recipes all over the internet, so I’m sure you can find one you like. 

My family loves my chocolate chip cookies.

— Naomi Peralta (12)

Lastly, sugar cookies are an especially festive Christmas dessert. You can buy them from the store already cut into fun Holiday shapes or choose to bake them yourself. The best part about Christmas sugar cookies is decorating them with frosting and sprinkles. This activity will create good memories and bring a smile to the person who sees them. 

I hope you choose to take up baking this Christmas season since it helps to get into the Christmas Spirit. Even if you don’t, I wish you a fun Christmas filled with love, joy, and good dessert.