The Meaning Behind Christmas Signs

Sophia Jones
Christmas decorations are symbolic and create great joy during Christmas time.

The warm cheerful Christmas season is strongly amplified by the vast range of objects, decorations, and food that are used to symbolize Christmas. Candy canes, mistletoe, wreaths, and more are all well-known figures of the Christmas season. 

Candy canes are a delicious red and white swirled candy that is peppermint flavored and used in a variety of ways during the holidays. They are hung on trees, used in desserts, and eaten alone. The “hook” shape of the treat is used to represent the shepherd’s crook (Jesus is known as the ‘Good Shepherd’). The red stripe symbolizes Jesus’ blood sacrifice, and the white stripe is used to signify his purity. Agnes Lee (10) was shocked to discover how deep the meaning of candy canes are. She states that she “can’t believe how symbolic the little things that represent Christmas are. There is so much thought that has gone into making a candy to help represent Jesus.”

I can’t believe how symbolic the little things that represent Christmas are.

— Agnes Lee (10)

Wreaths are another decoration commonly used. They are a ring-shaped arrangement of greenery that are typically hung on front doors. The circular shape of the wreath represents eternal love and rebirth. Cedar displays strength, and Holly shows immortality. 

Mistletoe is often hung in houses and door frames for people to kiss if they land underneath it. This tradition is derived from the fact that mistletoe is a parasitic plant that lives only if it is attached to a tree. It has become known as a symbol of love. 

Red and green are commonly known to represent Christmas. The color red is representative of Jesus’ blood and sacrifice on the cross. It is also the color of holly berries which were used in ancient Rome during Christmas time. Green is a color representing everlasting life and light. During the New Year, Romans would decorate their houses with evergreen branches; fir trees represent life. It is also believed that when Jesus was born, the winter leafless trees were shaken of snow, revealing a sea of greenery around the world. 

A common sound during Christmas is that of bells ringing. They are used to announce the season and Jesus’ birth. 

Commonly, presents are nicely wrapped with a bow on top underneath the Christmas tree. It has become a greatly used tradition to give and receive gifts because of the Three Wise Men who gave Jesus presents when he was born. The ribbons and bows tied around these presents are used to depict the unity and goodness in family and friends. 

Stars, such as those hung upon the Christmas tree, are a prominent figure of Christmas. They come from the Star of Bethlehem which were used to guide the Three Wise Men to baby Jesus. It is Biblically used as a sign from Heaven of prophecy and a shining hope for people (Osborn).

It is so amazing to see how different traditions and objects are used to represent a bigger picture and create joy during the Christmas season. Different indications of the cozy spirit of Christmas, such as candy canes, wreaths, mistletoe, red and green, bells, presents, and stars have originated in many different ways and are essential to enrich the season.