The Benefits of Taking AP Classes

After taking our AP chem exam, my classmates and I decided we wanted to spend our hard earned break making a delicious breakfast for ourselves.

Many aspiring overachievers pack their schedules full of difficult classes to prepare themselves for life challenges. For these students, AP or advanced placement is a viable option to get ahead in the academic universe. With these highly advanced courses comes stress and a heavy workload, but the benefits outweigh the cons.

First, AP classes have been proven to better set up students for success in college, where the class environment is more competitive. The Princeton Review states that AP classes are of similar difficulty level to introductory college classes. Taking an AP class can also earn you college credits so you can get ahead of your peers and be on track to graduate sooner. After taking a couple of AP classes in high school, you can eliminate college entry-level classes that all incoming first-year students must take. By removing these classes from your schedule, you can start learning new concepts that directly correlate to your major or interests.

Furthermore, AP classes can also help you with your high school experience. As stated by Crimson Global Academy, “AP courses are weighted more heavily than regular high school courses, which means that they can boost your GPA.” This means that taking AP classes can also benefit your high school academics. As well as academic benefits, taking AP classes builds self-confidence in your capabilities. Taking more complex courses allows you to challenge yourself and develop your skills at a higher level, improving your confidence in basic skills for other courses.

Through AP classes, the harsh academic environment also creates a bonding experience for you and your classmates. Many of my high school friends are people I have met who struggled through the AP season alongside me. Junior Kaylie Cao (11) had a similar experience as she states, “AP classes made me grow closer to many of the students in my high school.”

AP classes made me grow closer to many of the students in my high school

— Kaylie Cao (11)

Lastly, as soon as AP exams are over, most teachers ease up on their AP students and let them have a free period for the end of the year. Not every class will have this privilege, but playing cards with my classmates after our exam made me enjoy taking an AP class more. Some students even choose this time to catch up on missed sleep spent studying for their tests! One of my classes from last year also took it upon themselves to spend our free period making waffles!

Overall, taking an AP class is an immense time and effort commitment, but it will be heavily rewarding in academic, social, and waffle-making areas.

View Comments (9)