From One ASB President to the Next

The class that Tatum Steward graciously led this year, ASB 2024-25!
Lili Sebestyen

My first memory as a YLHS mustang was opening our school website and going to the ASB homepage in order to see the results for which freshmen were accepted in ASB. Although I had been told that the results would not be posted for a few more days, I was so excited that I just couldn’t help but check. To my surprise, I saw my name on the screen under “Freshman Class Representatives.” I guess the results had been posted early, and I made it.

From that point, it felt as though all of my high school dreams were coming true. Everything my middle school self had dreamed that ASB would be was a reality. ASB immediately became the class I was most excited to go to, the program where I met all of my closest friends, and the place where I truly felt like I belonged.

Since then, ASB has changed me into a leader I am truly proud to call myself. I feel as though the grit and mental strength I have developed from this class is the greatest gift I have ever been given. My gratitude and love for ASB is what helped me decide to run for ASB president, and I am so excited for what is to come next year.

Watching Tatum Steward (12)—our current ASB president—blossom in this role has given me both a sense of excitement to lead the new class, along with a sense of nervousness to follow in her footsteps. Tatum is truly the epitome of a president who leads with determination, empathy, and integrity.

Some advice I would give to you going into my role is to never let your ‘power’ get to your head. In any position of high leadership, it can feel like you have seniority over people and it can be easy to get carried away with that. However, I urge you to never view yourself as any better than one of your peers.

— Tatum Steward (12)

I recently spoke with Tatum about her thoughts on ASB next year and what advice she would give me as I take on an executive position. When I asked her what advice she would give me, she replied that “Some advice I would give to you going into my role is to never let your ‘power’ get to your head. In any position of high leadership, it can feel like you have seniority over people, and it can be easy to get carried away with that. However, I urge you to never view yourself as any better than one of your peers.” She then proceeded to explain that “something I wish I knew going into the position of ASB president last year is that you will never know everything, and it is your job to learn and grow. A lot of the time people look to a person in power for all of their answers and solutions, but what some may forget is that at the end of the day, the ASB president is only 17-18 years old. So, of course we don’t know everything, and we are learning just like everyone else. Be gracious with yourself and just be open to new ideas.” Finally, Tatum told me: “something I wish I could have done better as president is create a more spirited student population. I wish that I could tell you the answer to how to solve this problem, but the truth is I don’t. I guess I would say that you should start with yourself: involve yourself, talk to new people, and bring the best spirit you can.”

Going into next year, I will be taking Tatum’s advice to heart as well as utilizing my access to her through texting and phone calls.