Drew Angerer

The Dangers of Fentonyl

January 11, 2023

With the current drug epidemic in society, people of all ages need to be educated on the extreme risk and dangers of using drugs. More recently, a specific drug called fentanyl has caused quite the buzz on the news and in local communities, causing numerous deaths in a short amount of time. This is often not the intention of the user, but almost always people are unaware that the item they are consuming is laced in fentanyl, which not only is life-threatening to them, but to those around the person using the drug as well. Due to its wide prevalence, even those who do not use drugs need to be aware of what seem to be harmless items laced in fentanyl, such as Halloween candy.

One Pill Will Kill

Melanie Ramos, 15 year old girl who overdosed on Fentanyl at Bernstein High School This past Tuesday.

KTLA

One pill will kill. This past Tuesday, 15 year old Melanie Ramos and her best friend Heather Wheatley overdosed on fentanyl at Bernstein High School in Hollywood. The effects on Melanie were fatal. The effects of Fentanyl on teenagers are highly unpredictable, and have ended in death. “Fentanyl is involved in 90% of all deaths involved with opioids” (Department of Health).

Melanie and Heather thought they purchased Percocet pills, yet little did they know it was laced with fentanyl. It takes 2 milligrams of Fentanyl to become potentially lethal. According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, “It is possible for someone to take a pill without knowing it contains fentanyl. It is also possible to take a pill knowing it contains fentanyl, but with no way of knowing if it contains a lethal dose” (DEA). Yet, how did two 15 year old girls get drugs? There are multiple suspects, including, a 15 year old boy who attends the same school as the other two girls. He has been taken into custody and charged with manslaughter. Another suspect is another 16 year old who is accused of selling the fentanyl laced Percocet to the two teens in the first place.

The girls were found on the school property. Melanie was found in the bathroom and Heather was found on the field, calling for help. Heather’s mother’s boyfriend went looking after her mother could not come in contact with her for hours after the school day ended. “’They didn’t take the initiative to have someone walk across the campus or go to the bathroom. They were laying on the cold floor for five hours in a high school,’ ” said Wheatley  (Heather’s Father)” (FOXLA).

Drugs are no joke, and lethal situations like this can happen to anyone. A friend, a family member, drugs affects us all in different ways, but there are ways to prevent this. You can do this by: keeping strong relationships, taking mental health breaks, and communication. This may sound repetitive, but it really does help. Many families have been affected by drugs and many more will be affected. “It’s only a matter of time before it happens again,” says Wheatley. “If it happened to my daughter, it can happen to anyone’s child” (FOXLA). Many children who are suffering severe anxiety and depression often struggle with drug and alcohol abuse. “Depression is common among people battling an addiction to drugs or alcohol. Substance abuse can trigger or intensify the feelings of loneliness, sadness and hopelessness often associated with depression.” (Addiction Center). 

Just remember, you are not alone. There are people to help you. Friends, family, teachers, and guidance counselors are all there to help you through difficult times. “There are your friends and family that care about you and would be deeply hurt if something would happen, and how there is always someone who will care and help you through tough times, you are not alone” says Megan Wang (9). This is correct. Your peers, family members, and teachers are there for you no matter what so do not feel afraid to reach out to them.