Angels Baseball Season Preview

photo courtesy of losangeles.angels.mlb.com

Jordan Coley, Sports Editor

Once again America’s past time has returned. The Major League Baseball season is set to begin April fourth, with a few teams beginning on the third. Much went on during the lengthy offseason. Big moves included star pitcher David Price signing with the Red Socks, outfielder Jason Heyward signing with the Cubs, and all-star pitcher Zack Greinke signing with the Diamondbacks. While there were many moves that will surely be game changers, the team from southern California had a relatively quiet offseason. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim only made a few moves, but will surely prove to be a better team than 2015.

During the 2015 to 2016 offseason, the Angels acquired a few additional players. Going into the offseason, the front office of the club placed a strong priority on filing many holes in the team’s infield. The team, in response, acquired short stop Andrelton Simmons. Simmons, coming from the Atlanta Braves, fills the position of short stop, previously held by Eric Aybar. Aybar, the Angels’ previous infielder, was sent to the Braves. Carson Coley (10) believes that “Simmons will likely bring a new energy to the clubhouse that wasn’t present last year.” Yunel Escobar, also an infielder, was acquired from the Washington Nationals. Escobar will likely be the team’s full time third baseman. Together, Simmons and Escobar will attempt to improve the Anaheim Angels’ infield and overall performance this upcoming season.

Andrelton Simmons and Yunel Escobar join an already established lineup this season. Because the Angels didn’t make a lot of offseason moves, there is a large number of players returning this season. Returning this season are super stars, Albert Pujols and Mike Trout. The duo hopes to elevate the team past last years results. Last season the team, unfortunately, missed the post season only by a few games. During the offseason, Pujols had surgery on his ankle. Many, including the Angels, were unsure if he would be ready for opening day. However, it appears that the first baseman will be ready to take the field. Trout looks to return in his usual fashion. As expected, Trout had an excellent spring as well as season last year. He took the league by storm with this staggering speed. But, the center fielder surprised many last year with showing a big increase in his power hitting. Albert Pujols and Mike Trout will surely bring a great deal of offense to the roster this year.

Overall, the Angels look fairly prepared to make a run for the playoffs this season. Possible holes in the team’s starting pitching may prove to be troublesome. Many of the students of Yorba Linda High School would choose to disregard those doubts. Hopefully, the Angels improve on last years record and prove many of the critics wrong.