Back to Back Ballers of YL

Daania Kalam, Photojounalist

Once again the Mustang men’s basketball team has dominated and remained undefeated. This season they have set multiple records and are continuing on for CIF. These Mustangs have been lead by Coach Jason Pietsch and captains Josh Miller and Isaac Douglas. Having dominated on the court the Mustangs have set several school records. Setting the best overall record of 21-6 this season. Not once but 2 years in a row, this team has won league championships and are ranked 5th best in all of Orange County, hence achieving two more school records.

This year players put in countless hours of practice and conditioning as well as maintaining academics and other extracurriculars. However the memories made within the team are memories that will never be forgotten. Isaac Douglas (12) says that, “My favorite memory is the Servite game when Eric hit the game winning shot”. Whether it be buzzer beating shots or trips to Santa Barbara for tournaments this team, “It’s like a brotherhood to me” explains Josh Miller (12). Considering the endless hours of practice together the players are bound to become brothers. “These teammates are probably going to be lifelong friends and the experience adds so much to a student’s overall high school experience”, says Coach Pietch.

Being in such a challenging and competitive sport requires lots of skill and hardwork. Having coached this team, Coach Pietsch believes, “Basketball is a very demanding sport.  It takes a wide range of skills to be average in basketball.  Basketball requires daily attention to ball handling, shooting and overall agility”. With the exemplary program this year’s team has been able to achieve greatness and moving forward will continue to dominate. However, it is inevitable that the seniors will graduate leaving their legacy behind for the incoming students to follow. For those who will fill the large shoes left by Josh, Isaac and this year’s team. Josh and Isaac advise, “Put in the work now and listen to the coaches and you’ll go very far”, as well as, “Do it right the first time or Coach Yezbak will be all over you”.

After the 50+ games the team played together preparing for season the team is more than a team but a family. Even after some graduate their legacy will live on at Yorba Linda High School because of their accomplishments. Although league, has come to an end the season continues as Mustangs make their way into CIF tournaments and challenge several other schools across the state. The first round will be played at home on Wednesday, February 17th, 2016. This game will be against Pioneer and the Stable will be dressed in red for a red out!