FCA CLUB SPOTLIGHT

Deborah You, Photojournalist

Do you want free pizza and cookies? FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) is one of the many Christian clubs here on campus at Yorba Linda Linda High School. This club has been meeting every other Tuesday at lunch in the big gym, since the opening of YLHS.

Each week, FCA invites a famous guest speaker (usually an athlete) to speak and share their testimony on how he or she as an individual came to know Jesus Christ as his or her personal Lord and Savior. For special events, like Christmas and Easter, FCA finds a speaker to talk about the birth of Christ or the Easter message and explains how Christ made an impact on these remembered days.

A general huddle usually starts off with music, Bible verses and an opportunity drawing, including candy bars and gift cards. Then the two presidents open up with prayer, announce information about the prayer box and explain how to get involved on the leadership team. After the announcements, they introduce the guest speaker, who shares his or her testimony. After the inspirational message, the students are excused to get pizza, goodies and drinks.

As the president of FCA, Will Bickford (12) says that “what [he] enjoys the most about FCA is that [he] gets to see people make life changing decisions for the better and [he] gets to help share with students what has impacted [his] life for the better.”

In order to prepare for the general huddles, the FCA leadership team meets on the other Tuesday’s at lunch in Mr. Gerasimou’s room to plan, pray and fellowship for the following week’s huddle! They also have a devotion, where the leaders discuss how to grow stronger in their faith and what they can do as a team to help and encourage Yorba Linda High School as a whole. Then the leadership team votes on PO Form’s and pray about how to make the next meeting successful.

The main purpose of this club is so glorify God and make Him known at Yorba Linda High School as well as neighboring high schools. Their mission as a club is “to present to coaches and athletes, and all whom they influence, the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, serving Him in their relationships and in the fellowship of the church.”