One Unorthodox Promposal

Photo courtesy of cosmopolitan.com

Pauline Ngo, Photojournalist

Junior Anthony Martinez, is a student council member at Desert Oasis High School in Las Vegas, Nevada, and he is always planning and setting up school dances. However, Anthony complains about how he “never [gets] asked” since he is gay.
Everything changed, and his wish came true when he was asked to prom by his straight best friend, Jacob Lescenski, who is also in student council with him.

After class, Anthony noticed a huge banner and confusedly asked, “Why is there a sign? Why is everyone crowded over there? I want to go over there to see who is getting asked. I want to be a part of that.” Then, Anthony sees Jacob with his arms wide opened and discovers that the sign is for him. On the banner, it depicted the words: “You’re hella gay, I’m hella str8. But you’re like my brother. So be my d8?”
Jacob admits, “I decided on going to prom alone because my original date idea didn’t work out so well. Then one night I saw Anthony…tweeting about wanting a date. So, I came up with the poster idea, asked my friend Mia to make it and asked him that next day…It was a giant surprise to everyone, especially Anthony!”

Anthony expressed excitedly on Tumblr, “He’s my best friend, and a real man given the fact he has the guts to fulfill my gay student council dream of always helping out planning dances, and never getting asked. I couldn’t ask for a better person in my life. Thank you Jacob, can’t wait for May 2nd!”

Allison Matthews (12) perceives “Jacob as such a confident young man for asking his gay friend to prom and even openly having a gay male friend in high school. It is this kind of bravery and this kind of simple acceptance that will eventually bring about real equality.”