Volunteer Options for This Summer

There are many different ways for students to find volunteer opportunities in their community.

Courtesy of the League of Women Voters

Rishika Puri

With summer just around the corner, many high school students will seize the opportunity to squeeze in some extra volunteer hours. The summer is a great time to find places to volunteer since students will have a lot more time to work, and there will be more available places to help out. Here are some of the best places to gain community service hours.

The Yorba Linda Public Library has always been a popular place to get some hours in. It includes a variety of options to choose from and has lots of open spaces to volunteer. Options include shelving, reading to young kids, managing summer reading prizes, and much more.

Summer is definitely a good time to volunteer. I will be volunteering at the Yorba Linda Public Library.

— Sambhav Puri

“Summer is definitely a good time to volunteer. I will be volunteering at the Yorba Linda Public Library,” says Sambhav Puri (9). It’s easy to apply and is nearby. The positions are also enjoyable, and some involve partaking in fun activities such as assisting young children with projects or crafts. Be sure to apply soon though; the spots fill up fast.

Another place to claim community service hours is soup kitchens. Someone Cares Soup Kitchen is in Costa Mesa, California and is always looking for people to help out. Soup kitchens can always use an extra hand to help those in need, and it is a selfless act. By volunteering at a soup kitchen, you are not only getting community service points but you are also helping the less fortunate.

One of the more underrated places to volunteer at are hospitals. Hospitals, especially childrens’ hospitals, are great places to help out. From assisting medical staff to keeping track of data, there are many things to do. However volunteering at hospitals is much more serious than volunteering at other places, so it helps to have some kind of prior knowledge or experience before applying to volunteer.

Volunteering not only helps you graduate high school by earning the required service hours, but it also provides you with valuable skills. Students learn skills applicable to the workforce, such as communication, service, quick thinking, time management, and much more. Traits like these are what make people successful and help them flourish in life. Extra volunteer hours also look great on college applications, and the skills you learned will be an essential when searching for a job. Start searching for a place to volunteer at so you can make the most out of your summer!