A Special Tribute to the Teachers at YLHS

Emma Per

Here is a small tribute to all of the YLHS teachers that have made YL feel like a family and a home. Thank you to all of the teachers that have worked so hard over the past years!

Emma Safari, Photojournalist

While a majority of the programs at Yorba Linda High School are student run, the teachers heavily contribute to making campus life revolve. Over the past few years, the teachers, much like the students, have dealt with a lot. From Covid to schools shutting down to getting all of the students back up and running to speed, it has been a struggle over the past few years.

And many of the students may not acknowledge it, but the teachers at Yorba Linda high school have made long lasting impressions on all of the Mustangs. From freshman year all the way to senior year, these teachers have molded the students of Yorba Linda High School and help students pursue their interests. Here are a few mentions of the teachers who have helped students become who they are today. Without the entire staff, Yorba Linda would not revolve the way it does today. 

While the entire language department at Yorba Linda High is appreciated, here is a small glimpse into how one of its teachers has affected her students. “Ms. Hoffman encouraged me to pursue Spanish and continue to learn more. Going into her class I was dreading taking spanish; however, after leaving her class on the last day, I was inspired to continue to learn and start taking honors Spanish. She is always there for me and continues to encourage me. I know I can always go in and talk to her and she has helped me through some difficult times,” shares James Vas (11).

From theater to choir to photography and film, the entire art program is loved and cherished. Many teenagers don’t even realize their love for the arts until after being shown the ropes. “Mr. Schumerth has made the biggest impact on my life because he shows his passion  for the art in the way he teaches his students and has such a great personality and genuine interest in getting to know his students. He prioritizes students’ needs, always has a positive attitude, and always knows how to make class more interesting. He has made campus  much more enjoyable and continues to make a  difference in people’s lives. He  is a great teacher and truly a great leader” says Alexis Paayan (11). The art department has a way of making students feel at home while exploring how to perfect their crafts Natasha El-Maissi (11) shares “Mr Hendry has influenced my life because he always puts a smile on my face and acts more like a friend than a teacher.”

Mr Hendry has influenced my life because he always puts a smile on my face and acts more like a friend than a teacher.

— Natalie El-Maissi

Now for the science department; many teachers have pushed students to become more involved in the world around them. “Mrs. Pilkenton has made the biggest impact on my life. Not only did having her lessons encourage me to actively make the world a better place, but the patience and positivity she radiates during our discussions makes me feel heard and appreciated. I love her so much!” says Ashley Tsai (11).  In addition, teachers in the science department have encouraged students to take the ‘scarier’ science classes that Yorba Linda Has to offer. “Mrs. Ward has also influenced me this year. I was so nervous because all I knew about chemistry is that it was hard and most people don’t like it. She made the subject so much easier and it really helped me get through it. She even pushed me through it. She even pushed me to take AP Chemistry, which has taught me better study habits. She always was there by my side and made me confident in my abilities going into the AP exam. She is also always there when I need advice,” continues James Vas (11). 

Finally, the economics program at Yorba Linda earns an honorable mention. Many of the students who take economics can credit their eagerness to leave high school to this class in particular. “Mr. Lejano, my economics teacher, is the person I credit with having had the greatest influence on my life because of the significant speech he delivered on the final day of our first-semester class. His influence positively altered my perception of life beyond high school. Prior to knowing that there are new opportunities in the world, I wasn’t particularly enthusiastic to graduate from high school, but now that I do, I am,” shares Natalie Neal (12).

While these are only a handful of the teachers that have made an impact on the lives of students, the entire staff and faculty are appreciated on a daily basis. Without them, Yorba Linda High School would not be the place it is today.