YLHS Mock Trial is Recruiting!

Get Ready for the 2015-2016 Season!

YLHS Mustang Mix

Sarah Chen, Photojournalist

After a highly successful first regular season, the YLHS Mock Trial team is looking towards another undefeated season. They are looking for new members to join for 2nd Semester to prep for next season.

Mock Trial is a program that allows high school students, college students, and law school students, to essentially perform a court case. In the high school stage, the students are given a court case in September. The packet contains case facts and witness statements that the students have to dissect and understand. Students are split into the prosecution and defense team and then each half build their own case and practice by going against each other. The students make up the attorneys, witnesses, bailiff, and court clerk. Each round is scored by actual attorneys and Orange County Superior Court Judges.

This year’s team went undefeated in the regular season and placed as one of the Top 16 teams in Orange County. However, in the single elimination rounds, they drew a tough team and lost by only a couple points.

There will be elective class credit given to students who join 2nd semester. This class will serve as a prep that will go over the details of court cases: objections, etiquette, rules, etc. Students can choose to focus on attorney or lawyer positions and try out for particular parts in September.

There are two types of attorneys: pretrial and trial attorneys. Pretrial will focus on arguing Constitutionality of particular details using previous Supreme Court decisions to the Judge. Among trial attorneys, there are also those who will give the opening statements and closing arguments in addition to doing direct and cross examinations.

Join the YLHS Mock Trial program next semester and prepare for the Mock Trial competition next year!

Please contact Ms. Tully at [email protected] if you have any questions or if you are interested!