Chillingly Good Dark Fantasy Anime

TV Seasons and Spoilers

A few members of Jujutsu Kaisen’s cast (from left to right: Megumi, Toge, Maki, Kento, Yuji, and Nobara) radiating charisma in the anime’s stylish opening.

Karyss Park, Photojournalist

The Halloween season may have reached its end, but the season to watch multiple seasons of anime never ends. To ease out of the spooky season (or rather, sustain it), here are some chillingly good dark fantasy anime that will be worth the time.

With its humorous, well-written cast and stunning animation, Jujutsu Kaisen has entranced a huge number of fans despite its rather recent release on October 3rd, 2020. Horror, humor, and pandas–Jujutsu Kaisen has them all. The plot centers around high school student Yuji Itadori, who seeks to exorcise himself after consuming the finger of a powerful Curse (essentially an evil spirit or demon). Through his school’s Occult Research Club, Yuji becomes a jujutsu student and quickly befriends two of his fellow students: the stoic, aloof Megumi Fushiguro and the brash, stubborn Nobara Kugisaki. Additionally, Yuji and his friends are guided by their playful but immensely powerful mentor, Satoru Gojo–the strongest known sorcerer at Tokyo Jujutsu High. For those who enjoy horror elements, action, comedy, and style, Jujutsu Kaisen is a blessing despite its Curse-caused origins.

Slaying reviews and movie theaters alike, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is a 2019 anime series that gained massive popularity with its beautiful animation, colorful cast, and thrillingly emotional storyline. Earlier this year, the series also had its first movie released in the US, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train. After Tanjiro Kamado’s family is tragically slaughtered and his younger sister Nezuko is turned into a demon, the young boy goes through many trials and sets off on a long journey to become a demon slayer. With the help of the serious, frigid-looking Giyu Tomioka, a Hashira (or demon slayer of the highest-rank), Tanjiro eventually becomes a member of the Demon Slayer Corps. As a result of this, he meets the hot-tempered, battle-hungry Inosuke Hashibira, and extremely paranoid Zenitsu Agatsuma. The show has a fun and dynamic cast who experience quality character development, and a balance of emotion and action. Eugenia Lee (11) says, “I feel like Demon Slayer is an amazing anime to watch! The artwork of the whole animation is clean and well thought out. It’s an addictive show that allows you to feel so many emotions both positive and negative.” Ultimately, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is a must-watch among the top anime shows of any genre.

In conclusion, these anime have “killed it” in the industry; from their stellar animation to their remarkable soundtracks, they have quickly made a name for themselves. Whether one is an anime fan or not, they should definitely make note of these worthwhile shows to binge at any time of the year.