Behind The Scenes of The Wrangler

The first thing our audience sees when visiting The Wrangler’s website.

Suhani Bhanvadia

Suhani Bhanvadia, Section Editor

As you are probably reading this on The Wrangler’s website, you might be wondering how so many articles are published on a weekly basis with little to no errors. Writing and posting a few articles may seem simple, but there is much more going on that our audiences may not be aware of.

The process of approving and publishing articles has multiple steps over the course of a week. First, all photojournalists and editors individually pitch an article idea for the week. Once approved by the newspaper’s co-editors-in-chief and Mrs. Shay (staff), writers have about one week to put together an article including interviews, research, and even their own photos. Lastly, editors look over each article, including their own, and make corrections before the final submission for publishing. 

Editors are not only responsible for revising articles but are also assigned roles for other aspects of The Wrangler. Our podcast is hosted by Abbie Muther (11) and Katherine Ortiz (12), illustrations are by Emily Eslao (10), social media is managed by Kylie de Best (10) and myself, Suhani Bhanvadia (11), and of course, our co-editors-in-chief are Emma Khamo (12) and Riley Pietsch (12). These editors also meet weekly to discuss plans including how to improve the class, other projects, and even planning events. This year, due to COVID-19, the class had to adapt to moving the process completely online which was also a major discussion between the editors.

Although COVID-19 has had a big impact on our program, we continue to focus on other projects. The Wrangler’s podcast plans to have interviews with special guests and has even dove into filming fun videos like the most recent “Tasting Different Coffees: Pumpkin Spice Edition”. Our Instagram, @ylhswrangler, also posts daily article shoutouts to promote our best pieces of writing and showcase our strongest writers.

“I love to have an escape from reality and see some more positive news. Especially with the world right now, I feel like it is even more important for people to have other things to read besides the negativity in the news.

— Aaric Duong (11)

This year, especially after the shock wave of 2020’s pandemic, political events, and protests, The Wrangler hopes to serve as an outlet for members of the community to escape to a more positive news site. Aaric Duong (11), an avid reader of The Wrangler, adds “I love to have an escape from reality and see some more positive news. Especially with the world right now, I feel like it is even more important for people to have other things to read besides the negativity in the news.” As media is being flooded by negativity and controversy, YLHS’s #1 student news site aims to bring more positive energy and light-heartedness to the community.