New Year, New League

New Year, New League

Jordan Coley, Sports Editor

Yorba Linda High School has thrived in its recent years as an exceptionally athletic school. From cross country recently being ranked fifth in state to the past league championships in various sports, YLHS is rapidly gaining a distinguished reputation. By gaining the respect of our competitors, we have become a force to be reckoned with. YLHS’s outstanding recognition on the field earned the possibility of advancing to a more prestigious league. Such a change was put into effect this year. YLHS has made the jump to the Crestview League.

A new league brings new opponents for the Mustangs. While we succeeded greatly against our past league rivals, now much more experienced teams will face us for years to come. So what does the short and long term future hold for an evolving YLHS athletic department?  Yorba Linda High School is part of the Crestview League which is a subdivision of the Century Conference, that is made up of eight different schools. Schools in our league are Esperanza, Foothill, and Villa Park. Other schools like El Modena are considered league members depending on the sport. Each sport will be affected in a different way. However, we can expect the same amount of success from our student athletes.

Cross Country has started off their season in a great way. The captains have pushed their team into victory several times this year. Recently, they were ranked fifth in the state! It may be safe to say that Yorba Linda’s cross country program has a bright future. Men’s water polo has picked up where they left off last year. Just beating league rival Esperanza last week was surely a good indication of future years in the Crestview League. Football has been training hard this year in order to prepare themselves for their long season. With hopes of making CIF, the team has had several key victories. Long hours continue to be spent on the fields to prepare for a playoff run. It is still to be see how the team will stack up against its new league rivals, Foothill and Villa Park. Women’s Volleyball has had a very successful season. A league victory against El Modena was an important victory for the team, ensuring future success against teams in a new league. El Modena is considered part of the volleyball’s league, and part of the Century Conference.

Results have already indicated that Yorba Linda High School will continue to make great strides in athletics in the years to come. Sports in other seasons will hopefully see the same success as the fall programs have. Winter sports are hard at work preparing to face the new faces that have come with the transferring of leagues.