A “Band”-tastic Day!

Kiannah Dole, Photojournalist

Do you hear that high-energy and upbeat music playing? Yorba Linda High School’s Marching Band has been off to an absolutely wonderful start this year. Band members had already started working hard at band camp, during the month of August, to prepare for upcoming performances in the new school year. These Mustangs endure long hours of morning and evening practices throughout the school week, put forth their best effort, and work hard together to give our school an esteemed reputation at performances. Through all the hard work, they truly reap of the benefits of the music program and the many unique experiences that come with being a part of it. In fact, Jennifer Lee (10), says that, “My favourite part of being in band is the memories I get to share with the other band members. I enjoy the field shows and getting to bond with the members during competitions and bus rides.”

During the school year, the band will be performing various musical selections at football games, concerts, parades, and rallies! For example, Yorba Linda High School’s Marching Band performed recently in the 50th Annual Placentia Heritage Day Parade. The Heritage Day Parade was held this year on Saturday, October 11th. Yorba Linda High School’s Marching Band was featured among 200 other entries from around Orange County. Unfortunately, the band did not place in the following award ceremony because they had to attend another event.

This other event that the marching band had to attend was a field show at Valencia High School. Field shows combine many movements to place the band members in complicated and intricate formations; while the band members move, they are still performing music with their instruments. After the field show competition, Marching Band received first place for band and guard overall, second place for drum line, and first place for color guard.

These two diverse performances – the Placentia Heritage Day Parade and the field show at Valencia High School- demonstrate the true talent and hard work that our Mustangs put forth to do well and achieve at both types of events. Hope you were able to come out to enjoy either one of these band events on that Saturday and that you had a very “band”-tastic day!