The Lion King Trailer Review

The Lion King will be available in theaters starting July 19, 2019.

Courtesy of Disney

Tiffany Vo, Photojournalist

On November 22, from Disney’s Live Action, the trailer of the family classic The Lion King was finally released to the public. The movie, directed by Jon Favreau, features well-known Hollywood stars such as Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé as Nala, and Seth Rogen as Pumbaa.

Taking place in the African savanna, the film portrays Simba’s destiny to become the future king after the reign of his father, King Mufasa. However, not everyone is pleased with that idea, especially Mufasa’s brother, Scar. After a tragedy filled with betrayal, Simba is exiled from his kingdom, leading him to meet two creative individuals that will help him take back what is rightfully his: Pride Rock.

Despite the movie not yet being released, Disney Studios can already celebrate smashing a record of “Disney’s most watched.” In only twenty four hours, the trailer racked in about 224.6 million global views, according to Variety.

Even with the out-pour of excitement for the upcoming film, some viewers were quick to criticize the “live action” movie. Because all the animals are supposed to look as realistic as possible, the new reanimated version seems to lack the exaggerated emotions. One specific example is the scene in the trailer where Simba is dangled above the massive crowd. With the cartoon Simba, the audience is able to see the “big, beautiful, expressive eyes,” whereas in the the live action, Simba’s eyes resemble a real-life baby lion cub, “utterly indifferent” because he “doesn’t know what’s going on.” What makes the original phenomenon amazing, according to Quartzy, is the fact that is wasn’t realistic, allowing viewers to “engage their imagination” and “fill in [their own] blanks.” The new trailer looks too real and that ironically “[sucks] all the life out of it.”

Regardless of the criticism, fans of the classic are still highly anticipating the arrival of the film. Justin Baldoni remembers The Lion King as the first time he ever “[sobbed] at a movie” and predicts that it will be the “highest grossing Disney film of all time.”

Many fans of the original work, which was first released in 1994, are now noticeably older. Twitter user @gcfvkoo feels extra nostalgic, getting “goosebumps [from] watching the trailer” and predicting to be the “20 year old pushing kids in the theatre” in the future.

Even with some mixed reviews, The Lion King will undoubtedly be a phenomenon in theatres. Sarah Sung (11) notes that “kids and teens, no matter what age, will see the movie for the sake of childhood memories.”

Tiffany Vo, Photojournalist

Tiffany Vo is a senior at Yorba Linda High School. Currently, she is involved with The Wrangler as a photojournalist. For her future career and goals,...