Battle of the Bands

YLHS Band arms themselves for the battle of the bands.

ylhsarts.com

Paris Acosta, Photojournalist

This past Wednesday, October 22, 2014, Yorba Linda Band and Guard proudly presented the third annual Yorba Linda High School Field Tournament. In what was a successful event, 800 parents and students came to support their loved ones and engage in the bands’ passion for music.

Yorba Linda’s Division 3 band, under direction of Bincins Garcia, competed among the leading bands of the state—Bellflower, Covina, Duarte, Esperanza, Rancho Mirage, and Valencia put forth valiant efforts to make it a fierce competition.

Despite the brutal rivalry, Yorba Linda High School’s band and guard was able to prevail over their endeavors and achieve a higher score than that of the previous year. Isabella Wood and Kenneth Ahne (12), veterans of the Yorba Linda High School band, both credit the group’s improvement to the torturous zero periods and the 3 hour long practice every Monday night.

Yorba Linda’s performance, “Metropolis,” was truly a crowd pleaser with its intricate walking patterns, engaging chants, and dynamic use of crescendos and decrescendos. The crowd’s eyes gleamed with amazement at the in sync march of the band, the beautiful execution of the difficult flag throws, and the clever integration of the pit. Band major, Noah Tonies, did an amazing job conducting the band through the whole piece.

The other acts of the night were also remarkable. Esperanza, a Division 4 band, surprised its audience with well-known selections from Queen, Tom Petty, and Eminem. And Covina’s beautiful guard outfits and flags brought some color onto the field.

All 7 bands did a phenomenal job at the field tournament and it was great to see several mustangs supporting their band and music department. Being surrounded by so many people who share the band and guard’s love for music was truly an amazing experience, and I encourage everyone to experience it for themselves and discover the meaning of “band life.”