Take it to the Mat: Mustang Wrestling

Wrestling website page. More information about the team is at http://ylhswrestling.com/

Sarah Lemos

Sarah Lemos, Photojournalist

Wrestling season is just around the corner and the team is ready to bring on the competition. The team loves how fun the sport can be, there is something new to do everyday. Coach Fortenbaugh supports the boys and girls to be their absolute best on the mat. Some of the boys spend time together and become close friends during offseason and competition. It’s incredible how this team can become almost like family.

This year, the girls team has started preparing for its first official competition season. There are four girls currently on the team, but that doesn’t change the fact that these girls are tough and ready to defeat anyone who comes their way. The girls team hopes to have one of them make it to CIF to brighten up that first season as a team, it’ll be even better if one of them takes a title. Girls are hoping to bring in their friends and compete alongside with the people they care about a lot, it’s like another way to build greater friendships.

The boys team enjoys how the sport can build up body muscles and increase cardiovascular endurance. Also, most people don’t realize, but this sport uses some mental skills. Team members also have to make sure to keep up a good diet so there isn’t anything dragging them behind. Victory is a main goal for everyone, there is never a time where they don’t want to win. “I like how its an individual sport and if you win it’s on you and if you lose it’s on you. You really learn from your mistakes because you don’t have a team to blame if you lose,” Mateo Jaramillo(9). Some boys from junior varsity and freshman enjoy not having to wear a singlet, but they still do hope to make varsity and show off all the hard work they’ve out in.

It takes a lot to be committed to wrestling, but there is no doubt that this is an exciting sport to join. The team member always stay fit, work hard, watch their diets, and more, but its all for the chance to be able to be the best. Most of all, the team likes to have fun when wrestling against each other, it’s fair game here. Win or lose, it’s always a good day to get better. With all of the hard work put in, the team will be better than ever during meets. This year, the team hopes to go to CIF and take the title.

Sarah Lemos, Photojournalist

Sarah Lemos is a Freshman at Yorba Linda High School. Language arts is her favorite subject due to all the reading and writing, she thinks that it’s...