YLHS Welcomes New Assistant Principal: Mr. Okamoto

New Assistant Principal, Mr. Okamoto.

New Assistant Principal, Mr. Okamoto.

David Okamoto

David Okamoto

New Assistant Principal, Mr. Okamoto.

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

Each year, there is a plethora of new staff members added to our Mustang family. For the 2018-2019 school year, we welcome Mr. David Okamoto (Staff). Our new Assistant Principal is excited and ready for this new school year.

Growing up in Fullerton, Mr. Okamoto attended Brea Olinda High School. After graduating, it was obvious that our new Assistant Principal was gifted; Mr. Okamoto received his undergraduate degree in physical education and athletic training at Azusa Pacific University. He then went on to go back to APU (Azusa Pacific University) for his master’s degree in divinity. Not stopping there, Mr. Okamoto received his master’s degree in secondary education and teaching credentials at the University of Phoenix. Following this, he acquired his master’s in education administration and his administrative credentials at California State University Fullerton. Truly, Mr. Okamoto has worked hard for his career as shown by his educational background, and we are lucky to have him.

Mr. Okamoto first found YLHS online when searching for jobs in the PYLUSD area because it is closer to home for him, his wife, and his two kids. Prior to teaching here, Mr. Okamoto served as an Assistant Principal for Sycamore Junior High School in Anaheim for two years and taught at Glendora High School for ten years before Sycamore.

A goal of his this year is to “get to know as many of the staff and students here at YLHS and to quickly understand our school culture.” With Mr. Okamoto only working at his new school for a week, he has felt very welcome and a great positive vibes about coming to YL. Mr. Okamoto “enjoys the opportunities that high school offers and [wants to] get to know the students and see them grow to reach their goals.”

Outside of school, our Assistant Principal enjoys cooking dinner for his family, watching baseball, spending time with his kids and their activities, and traveling to new places with his family. Okamoto jokes to “leave all the bad stuff at home” and “save the drama for your llama.” On a more serious note, Mr. Okamoto also would like to leave students with some advice,

“High School may seem like it lasts forever, but it will be over before you know it… make the most of your time here at YLHS and get involved!”

Thankfully, YLHS has gotten the opportunity to get such a well-qualified and all around great person to help run the home of the Mustangs. With Mr. Okamoto joining the extensive list of amazing staff members, our school has gotten even stronger than before.

Mr. Okamoto is sure ecstatic to see what he has to offer to our school. On behalf of everyone at The Wrangler, we want to thank you for joining us here at YLHS and above all else, welcome you to the Mustang Family!

Stephen Serrano, Section Editor

Stephen Serrano is a junior at Yorba Linda High School. He is currently serving his second year as a Section Editor and his third year as a part of The Wrangler. Stephen is apart of numerous clubs and extracurriculars on campus. To name a couple, he is a board member in Red Cross and WE Club. As Stephen approaches his junior year, he is ecstatic to become a stronger writer as well as building relationships with the other Photojournalists. In the future, he would like to pursue a career in the medical field.