Home Away From Home: LA’s Ethnic Communities

Los Angeles boasts many large cities, each with their own attractions, including ethnic communities and cultural history.

County of Los Angeles

County of Los Angeles

Sanaz Kharazmi, Photojournalist

Los Angeles: a city notorious for being the home of Hollywood, its beaches, its glamor, and its diversity. This city’s rich history contributes to the vast cultures and groups of people, who eventually settle and establish communities to keep a home away from home. From Little Saigon to Chinatown to Little Ethiopia, food, festivities, and culture thrive because of the efforts put in by immigrants to preserve their culture.

According to the US Census, about 49 percent of the Los Angeles populus is or Latino or Hispanic descent. Similarly, since Los Angeles (and much of the American southwest) was a part of the nation of Mexico before it was part of America territory, Latino and Mexican influence remains very prevalent. Therefore, it is most appropriate to precede with the Olvera Street, which is a small avenue located in Chino and built in the 1900s “as tribute to the Mexican heritage of Los Angeles” (TheCultureTrip). During a school trip to Olvera Street, Yorba Linda High School senior, Carson Dike, shares that “the food is amazing” and the houses are “very indicative of traditionally Mexican culture.” This street is full of quaint, historic shops including a churro shop and plenty of souvenir merchants. Additionally, one of the most notable aspects is known as the “Avila Adobe,” which is the oldest home in all of Los Angeles.

Located near Downtown, Chinatown features unique, Chinese decor such as lanterns and dragon statues as a framing entrance. Historically, many Chinese immigrants settled here during the 1800’s, and it now is a place holding many Chinese restaurants, grocery stores, and historical landmarks. While Chinatown was larger and more developed in the late 19th century, it was later demolished to create what is now known as Union Station.

Slightly less popular, but equally as fascinating, Little Ethiopia, located on Fairfax Avenue, is the hub for premium Ethiopian food. Although small, Los Angeles’ Ethiopian community frequently gathers here to dine at restaurants, shop at markets, and engage in cultural festivities. This ethnic community was also officially recognized in 2004 to celebrate the large group of Ethiopian immigrants in Los Angeles (TheCultureTrip).

Los Angeles is also home to many Middle Eastern cultural hubs, such as Little Armenia and Tehrangeles. Little Armenia is located near Glendale, and was officially dubbed as such due to its high population of Armenian residents and businesses. Little Armenia features many Armenian Orthodox Churches, restaurants, and businesses (TheCultureTrip). Similarly, Tehrangeles, or a spin on the Iranian capital of Tehran and Los Angeles, is home to Iranian book shops, restaurants, supermarkets, and hookah bars.

Ultimately, Los Angeles is home to many ethnic groups, each contributing to a lively and diverse culture unique to southern California. From Latin America to Asia to Africa, the rich history and people of Los Angeles are truly irreplaceable.