The Weirdest Words in the English Language

Scrabble is a game played in many American households which requires the extensive knowledge of the English language and strategy.

What's Up Yukon

What's Up Yukon

Sanaz Kharazmi, Photojournalist

Through many years of history and interaction with other societies, languages need to evolve and adapt to whatever environment is surrounding them. Sometimes, a new resource requires for changing vocabulary and the invention of new words, and other times, existing words from other languages are adopted. However, there are always a plethora of words which go extinct from the loss of popularity in usage. When looking into different dialects of older British English, it is clear that an abundance of these rarely employed words are of unusual pronunciation and spelling.  

Oddly specific and perhaps a word that should be used far more often, “Cattywampus” is a directional word referring to an object that is diagonally across from something else. Yorba Linda residents may not be familiar with this word since it is mostly used in the Midwest and South of the United States (Express Writers).

Next on the list of strange words is “abibliophobia,” which is used to describe someone who fears- or suffers from great anxiety of- a lack of books to read (Express Writers). In the same breath, a “biblioklept” is a person who hoards and steals books (Merriam Webster).

Furthermore, when someone is constantly speaking and extremely talkative, they can be referred to as a “flibbertigibbet.” Surprisingly, the use of this word dates back all the way to the 1400’s (Express Writers). Yorba Linda High School student, Cassie Scigliano (12), shares that she is “fascinated by the odd ways language can develop” into such “specific” and particular words.

Slightly more specific to a certain type of talkative person is the phrase “snollygoster,” which concerns politicians whose sole purpose and aim is to fulfill whatever is in their personal best interest, rather than the greater good or what their actual political beliefs are.

In case someone is resemblant of a cute, prickly animal, the word “erinaceous” can be employed to describe one who resembles a hedgehog. When used in literature, someone who gives off the impression of a hedgehog is supposed to be angry and frustrated (Express Writers).

Typically, when referring to two days prior to one day, the phrase “the day before yesterday” is the most common way of communication. However, the incredibly unpopular term for that is “nudiustertian” (Express Writers).

From animals to thieves, words can connote a plethora of emotion. Too often do people adapt to a specific list of vocabulary, and research regarding uncommoon and meaningful words can not only be entertaining, but incredibly educational and necessary to revive bored and unsophisticated repetition of words.