Increase In Natural Disasters

Tornado causing destruction

national geographic

Tornado causing destruction

Milan Acosta, Photo Journalist

In the recent years there has been an abundant number of natural disasters that have wreaked havoc among millions of people. The world is changing, and mother nature is sending a clear message to humanity. Whether it’s a devastating tsunami or an unexpected eruption, millions of helpless people have faced the consequences of Earth’s climate and unpredictable natural disasters.

Although there are some people that accept the idea that global change is irrelevant, there is no denying that our ecological footprint has had something to do with the recent disasters. As humans continue to use natural resources and interfere with mother nature, we are bound to face the repercussions. According to multiple scientific studies, the total natural disasters reported each year has been steadily increasing in recent decades, from 78 in 1970 to 348 in 2004. Scientists believe the increase in hydro-meteorological disasters is due to a combination of natural and anthropogenic factors. One factor that plays a major role in the Earth’s environment is global warming. Global warming is increasing the temperatures of the Earth’s oceans and atmosphere, leading to more intense storms of all types, including hurricanes, typhoons, and monsoons. Also, the willingness of humans to urbanize flood zone regions is also increasing the probability that their towns and villages will be affected by flash floods and coastal floods. For centuries humans have urbanized the area around them, but fail to recognize the dangers that come with taking mother natures home.

Over the last few years numerous studies have been done to connect the influence of climate change to the recent California Drought and heat wave that has plagued this country. As studies progressed, researchers learned that human-caused global warming roughly doubled the possibility of a dangerous heat wave and made the environment more prone to global change. This is a huge breakthrough in determining if our ecological footprint is affecting the possibility of a natural disaster. As more studies are released, more people will clearly see the effects of our actions on the environment. When asked what she thought on the recent study, Natalie Jones (12) stated, “I think it’s clearly evident that our ecological footprint has something to do with the recent disasters and environment change. If we want to protect ourselves, we need to focus on protecting the environment before it’s too late.” It is important that society understands how the world is changing and what it can do to minimize the devastating effects of its actions. There is only one Earth and it’s up to the people to protect it.