Listen Up Underclassmen

From Senior Sunrise to Graduation, thank you to the people I love most for giving me a senior year I'll never forget.

Paige Weingarten, Editor-in-Chief

The first piece that I ever wrote for The Wrangler was an advice editorial that I intended primarily for the freshman class. Through the eyes of a somewhat jaded sophomore, I doled out my newly acquired wisdom for the wide-eyed youngsters, giving them the advice that some had given me, as well as advice that I wished some had given me. I remember writing that story like it was yesterday, so as I write my last article of my Wrangler career, I see it as only fitting to finish how I started, to revisit the advice I gave three years ago.

I expressed the importance of getting involved. It seems so cliche, but I really mean it, get involved. Some of the best people that I have ever met and who have become some of my best friends were brought to me by my involvement in school sports and various clubs. Of course, my extracurricular activities were indeed helpful in sprucing up my college applications, but for me, the true reward was feeling like a part of something, like I belonged somewhere. Varsity basketball gave me that, Yearbook gave me that, National Honor Society gave me that, The Wrangler gave me that.

Another point that I made which still rings true is the importance of working hard. It’s going to get tough. There are going to be nights where you feel like everything is crashing down on you at once and there’s absolutely no possible way you can finish it all, but speaking as someone with experience, trust me, you can. All of the effort that you put in will feel so worth it when you get those college acceptances come March of your senior year. But something that I didn’t add before that I realize now, is make sure you save enough room for fun in these four years. Every once in a while, give yourself a break and enjoy the time you have with the people you’re with.

High school, while it has its ups and downs, are some of the most memorable years of your life. You’ll go through some definite highs, and also some lows, but if you surround yourself with true friends, peers, and teachers like I did, you’ll make it through just fine. It truly goes by in the blink of an eye, it feels like just yesterday that I stepped on this campus for the first time, and in a few short days, it will be my last. Cherish every moment you have these four years, you’ll regret it if you don’t.

As I say goodbye to The Wrangler, I want to express how grateful I am for this program and the creative outlet it has given me. Because of this newspaper, I have been able to explore my passions and gain the skills and confidence that will propel me into the next chapter of my life. So thank you for reading, and hopefully this won’t be the last time you hear from me.