Remembering Kate Spade

Kate Spade's unique sense of style shot her to the top of success.

Marilynn K. Lee

Marilynn K. Lee

Paige Weingarten, Editor-in-Chief

The fashion world lost a true icon on Tuesday, June 5th, as legendary designer Kate Spade was found dead in her apartment at age 55. The investigation into her tragic death is still pending, but officials at this time believe the circumstances to be an apparent suicide.

Kate Spade was born on December 24, 1962 in Kansas City, Missouri, where she lived with her mother, father, and five other siblings. As a child, she hoped to be a television producer, but the eventual designer branched into fashion and launched her brand “Kate Spade New York” in 1993.  Three years later, Spade and her husband opened up the flagship Kate Spade store in New York City (CNN).

Her website describes Kate’s company as “Debuting with just six silhouettes, she combined sleek, utilitarian shapes and colorful palettes in an entirely new way,” and her collection expanded to be the company that girls everywhere know and love today (CNN).  Customers were so attracted to her brand because of its sophisticated chic style; it could often be described as purses and accessories for the working woman. They were a staple of success and being able to purchase one was a right of passage in the eyes of many.

After the news of her death, an outpouring of love and support for her family was shared on social media by many people, including Chelsea Clinton, Ivanka Trump, and Anna Wintour (NY Times). The Kate Spade company released a statement saying “Although Kate has not been affiliated with the brand for more than a decade, she and her husband and creative partner, Andy, were the founders of our beloved brand. Kate will be dearly missed. Our thoughts are with Andy and the entire Spade family at this time.”

Kate Spade’s family issued a statement saying, “We are all devastated by today’s tragedy. We loved Kate dearly and will miss her terribly. We would ask that our privacy be respected as we grieve during this very difficult time.” She leaves behind her 13 year old daughter, who she left a note to that was found on the scene of the tragedy.