Summer To-Do’s

Summer is nearly here, and there are so many things to do to enjoy the summer sun and the escape from the classroom.

Adobe Stock

Jaylin Mandley, Editor

While finals are fast approaching and seniors are headed their way out the doors of high school, that means it’s time to start looking at the bathing suit aisle because summer is on the horizon. Whether this summer is a short pause from high school or a quick break before beginning an adventure at college, there are several things you can do other than simply binge watching Netflix all summer long.

1. Movies- Starlight Cinemas and Edwards Cinema will always be there for a simple movie night. However, if you want to go beyond the normal cinematic experience, load up all the snacks and pillows you can pack in your choice of vehicle and visit the Van Buren Drive-In Theater. All summer long, the parks of Orange County are hosting free Movies in the Parks, so bring your blankets to enjoy a movie under the stars. Huntington Beach also hosts movie nights on the sand throughout the summer, and there’s no need to bring beach umbrellas to these nighttime spectaculars.
  2. Concerts- This summer, the Honda Center will present the music of several artists including Sam Smith and Shakira. Throughout the entire summer, the parks of Orange County will host free Concerts in the Parks that feature several well-known and local artists. Be sure to bring lawn chairs and picnic blankets to relax during a night filled with soothing melodies.
  3. Parks- From picnics at Yorba Regional Park to Disney Days, Yorba Linda is home to exceptional parks and is located close to amusement parks like Disneyland, Knott’s Berry Farm, and even Raging Waters for when the scorching California summer heat is too hot to handle.
  4. Beaches- Living in southern California, we are blessed with beautiful beaches located not even an hour away. Whether you munch on a Balboa Bar at Balboa Island, walk your pup at the Huntington Dog Beach, or tan at Laguna Beach, always remember the sunscreen.
  5. Exercise- If you are ready to dedicate yourself to earn that summer body, then get a gym membership, run, or practice a sport during the summer. Yorba Linda High School offers several sports camps during the summer to prepare athletes with training for next season’s events. Also, the Yorba Linda Community Center hosts sporting camps and outdoor activities camps for all ages. Get a group of friends together and go on a morning hike together up the Top of the World in Kerrigan Ranch. Visit Sky Zone’s indoor trampoline park or Rock City Climbing to exercise while having fun at the same time. While cross country runner Kaylee Worrell (9) is starting to mentally prepare herself for cross country camp over the summer, she admits that she’s “glad the team exercises almost everyday of summer so that [she] feel[s] accomplished the rest of the day.”
  6. Shopping- If you’re looking to enjoy the outdoors of summer and shop, the Irvine Spectrum outdoor shopping center can provide both. If you’re not as outdoorsy or in need of some air-conditioning from the summer heat, then the Brea Mall is the perfect place to shop or satisfy your taste buds at the food court.
  7. Summer Job- Summer is a great time to earn some extra spending money, especially considering all the places and things you’ll do this summer if you follow this summer guide. Whether it be working at Chick-fil-A, a grocery store, or even starting a dog walking business within your neighborhood, there are several summer jobs available to high schoolers. If a job isn’t an option, try selling all your unwanted items at a garage sale and make fast cash that way.
  8. Summer Homework- Although you’ll probably procrastinate to finish any AP summer homework you might have, it really is in your best interest not to wait until the last week of summer to complete it so you aren’t stressing right before school starts. Don’t hurt yourself even before the school year has begun!

Summer is almost here, so stay strong and end the school year on a good note; power through finals and the last days of the semester. There is a sense of accomplishment and a summer of fun waiting at the finish line.