Mental Health Days

It's all about taking a day off to get it together

theprospect.com

theprospect.com

Katie Cao, Photojournalist

Throughout the school year, students find themselves stressed about all of the work that they have to complete. Whether it be due to procrastination or the workload of homework everyday or multiple tests in one day, students become so mentally drained. Not just physically- due to long, late nights- but mentally. Being a student has turned into an accumulation of no sleep and who has the highest test score. There are days when coming to school is a drag, and it takes too much effort to roll out of bed and try to focus. Although this is a battle we have everyday, and we manage to show up to class, there are days when staying home is the better option.

What some would call “ditching” school, others consider it taking a day off as a “mental health day.” In today’s society, it is now a thing to take a day off of work or school for mental health reasons. This is such an important thing because there are many who suffer from depression, anxiety, and so on. There are days that need to be taken to take care of one’s mentality. This is crucial because people can suffer from any sort of mental breakdown, causing them to stress out even more and feeling more under the weather.

Society has made it to be unacceptable for one to maintain their own mental health. Although the tides are changing and there is a pushback towards this mentality, schools tend to not believe in this idea. The workforce is slowly changing though because they are now administering paid leave. Why have schools not allowed mental health days to be an excused absence, though? What about this seems like a sin to take care of oneself? In the 21st century, now more than ever, students are experiencing higher levels of stress and anxiety unlike any previous generation before. The bar has been set much higher than before, and now students are overworking themselves, leaving them more and more drained. No one can truly understand how a student is feeling except for themselves. They should be able to determine whether or not they need a day off of school to recuperate.

As each year passes by in high school, it gets harder and harder in each class; furthermore, the work load just keeps on piling and piling. The expectations grow higher, there are also more factors coming into play besides schooling. There are students who work, play sports, volunteer, or take part in many extracurriculars. Taking days off is crucial, and should not be taken lightly. It could save someone’s life. If someone overworks themselves, they are going to burn out and crash. Lauren Fitts (12) recalls how tired she got throughout her last two years of high school and believed she “needed days off to be able to go back to school feeling better, and more concentrated.”

Overall, these days should not be taken lightly, and if anyone needs to take a day to rest then they should do so. The only thing is that they should not start skipping work and school excessively. Take time to relax and get back to feeling better so bouncing back will be much more refreshing.