Sports Gambling

Casino where sports gambling is legal

Sno Tap

Casino where sports gambling is legal

Milan Acosta, Photo Journalist

As the months pass, lawmakers and legislators around the US are waiting to hear from the Supreme Court on the ruling of national policy regarding gambling and sports betting. No matter what the circumstances are, money has ruled sports in many ways. Throughout the country there are many establishments along with many online organizations where sports betting can take place. Whether it’s choosing a point spread or choosing the best team to win, there’s always a way to make money on a sports event. For the longest time gambling on sporting events has been very restricted and gambling institutions have only been able to operate in certain areas that have been regulated by the states.

The states have been trying to regulate sports gambling for many years in hope to limit illegal activity and minimize crime related to gambling. Many leaders in sports organizations have opposed the legalization of sports betting in order to avoid a fixed sporting event in which the outcome of the game is decided before it has even taken place. The most notable example of a fixed sporting event is the 1919 World Series involving the Chicago White Sox and the Cincinnati Reds. After the Cincinnati Reds won the world series, controversy ensued as eight White Sox players were accused of intentionally losing the World Series in an exchange for money from a gambling organization led by Arnold Rothstein. This was one of the first cases in which the dark side of gambling was exposed to the world. From that point on there have been numerous gambling controversies that have ruined many careers and hurt the integrity of many sports organizations such as baseball player Pete Rose, the World Boxing Federation, the National Hockey League, and the International Soccer Association.

When asked for her opinion on sports gambling, Mikayla Buscaino (12) said, “I think there is nothing wrong with gambling on sporting events as long as it is done legally. Lawmakers need to find a way to minimize illegal gambling so sports organizations are free of scandals and every bet made on a sporting event is legitimate.” The future of sports gambling will be determined in the beginning of June as the Supreme Court will determine its ruling on the legalization of sports gambling in the United States. This ruling has the potential to drastically change the world of sports for many years to come. Whether it changes for better or for worse one thing is certain: people will continue to profit off of sports gambling regardless of the legal circumstances.