Why We Cannot Let The Topic of Gun Control Die

If we do not continue talking about gun control, nothing will change in the prevention of future shootings.

Huffington Post

Huffington Post

Stephanie Pocci, Photojournalist

On the ill-fated day of Valentine’s this year, students of Stoneman Douglas High endured a horrific tragedy only a mere 2 months ago.  Yet, social media has already moved onto other topics since any topic aged more than a week is too old to be spoken of on Twitter or Facebook.  However, it is society’s responsibility to not let the discussion and debate on gun control die off. Despite it being a heavy-on-the-shoulders subject, it’s quite important to stay aware, and let others know of our own opinions on gun control.  If we continue to ignore this matter, history will only repeat itself. A tragedy occurs, thoughts and prayers are sent, the spark of a new uprising, nothing is enacted or change to try to prevent the next calamity, and we unknowingly move on while the cycle continues.  

Many may ask when it is a good time to talk about gun control, but the real dilemma that we are actually facing is how we should discuss gun laws and gun control (LA Times).  A predicament among many people who take part in the important discussion of gun control is that the purpose of the dialogue is not to end mass shootings. That in itself is impossible, similar to trying to completely abolish drug use, drunk driving, or trafficking.  People will always find a way to beat the system. The goal of the discussion of gun control is to begin taking some sort of active measures to prevent these shootings. As Adam Winkler states, “The proper question is what can be done to lower the number of incidents and reduce the harm from each one” (LA Times).

Another error within the debate of gun control is that many believe they do not have the power to incite change within gun laws.  Many people believe they are powerless against the Second Amendment that gives people the right to bear arms. But, The Second Amendment on the Bill of Rights which states the “…right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” does not give an unlimited right to own guns.  We are still able to prohibit gun ownership with a good cause such as mental illness, possession of firearms in sensitive areas such as schools, government buildings, or sale on certain kinds and details of firing weapons such as the unnecessary need of fully-automatic assault weapons.

In the end, the purpose of the speak of gun control must end with some sort of change.  Any sort of compromise would be a significant step towards the end of mass shootings. A fellow student, Ethan Pocci (9), states “We are destined to fail if no one speaks their minds for change.  If we do nothing the cycle will just continue and I will see more of my classmates grieve and suffer.”  Nonetheless, change cannot occur without the conversation of our stances and their importance. No matter the stance on gun control, we have to make sure that change occurs by keeping the discussion of gun control alive.  If we incite discussion and demand change, our representatives and senators may actually begin to make decisions to do so.