Student Spotlight: Megan Cuan

Megan Cuan is an excellent student and tennis player at YLHS.

Photo Courtesy of Megan Cuan

Courtney Poon, Photojournalist

Freshman year seems scary to most students, but not Megan Cuan (9). Despite it only being her first year of high school, Megan has accomplished so much in the tennis program and has been praised for her academic excellence.

As a freshman, Megan Cuan is already a star on the Women’s Varsity Tennis Team. This season, she played a major role in her team’s overall score of 13-7, which led her to be awarded as Most Valuable Player. In addition, she was awarded during the recent Renaissance Rally as Athlete of the Year for her dedication to the tennis team. Like that wasn’t enough, Megan was also a CIF individuals finalist for her amazing singles playing. However, Megan didn’t suddenly become a tennis superstar overnight. She has been playing tennis for over five years, has won several tournaments, and is ranked 99 in California. Megan thanks her family as her long-time supporters and for having pushed her to become so successful. One of her teammates, Juliana Kim (10) comments, “I honestly don’t think that we would have had such an amazing season without Megan. She fights so hard for every point and dedicates so much off-season time to tournaments and practices. Not only is she a great player, but she is also such a kind, humble person. Even though she’s the best player on the team, she never brags, and she’s always willing to help her teammates.” It’s clear to everyone how valuable of a teammate Megan is, and the tennis program is extremely lucky to have her.

Off-court, Megan is dedicated to her school work as she takes many honors classes. Regarding her freshman experience so far, Megan says that “so far [she] can’t complain” as she enjoys most of her classes. Her favorite class this year is “biology because Ms. Farrell (Staff) is such an interesting teacher and finds ways to make the class fun and exciting.” Megan’s advice to incoming freshman would be: “Try to enjoy as much of it as you can. Find something that you’re interested in and make the most of it here.”

Another one of Megan’s teammates, Sarah Cohen (10), praises Megan, saying, “School just wouldn’t be the same without her. She manages to put a smile on my face every day,  and I’m happy that I have the privilege of playing tennis with her.” Without a doubt, YLHS is lucky to have Megan Cuan on campus.