The Beauty of the Flower Fields

The Flower Fields offer an amazing scenery.

Alexis Wilens

Alexis Wilens

Alexis Wilens, Photojournalist

Located at Carlsbad Ranch in California, the Flower Fields offer a variety of entertainment and activities. This attraction displays 50 acres of colorful Tecolote Ranunculus flowers. “This annual burst of color,” signifies the beginning of Spring (theflowerfields). It is open March first through May 13 in 2018, so enjoy it while it is in season. Visitors can go from nine in the morning to six at night, any day of the week. This event has been happening for the past 26 years.

Started by Luther Gage, an early settler in the 1920s, this field filled with flowers is a result of almost 100 years of floral cultivation. He planted Ranunculus seeds in his field next to Frank Frazee’s vegetable farm, which was in South Oceanside. Later, Frazee started growing ranunculus as well and brought his son Edwin into the business of seeding. Edwin Frazee quit school when he was 18 to work full time on the flower operation. Long ago, the flowers were a single petal that was only in the shades red and yellow. Edwin Frazee created the fuller and more colorful flowers people experience now.  The flowers now have 13 different colors. Paul Ecke Jr. and Edwin Frazee worked together as farmers, and Paul Ecke Jr. decided tourism would be a good way to finance the fields. Therefore, the Flower Fields became a popular tourist destination. The men’s goals of bringing “people closer to agriculture” and having “ranunculus live on beyond death,” was accomplished (theflowerfields).

There are many different activities that people can take part in at the fields. People can buy day tickets, which vary from eight to 16 dollars, or season passes, which vary from 18 to 35 dollars. There are many group tours offered and even tours on wagons. The group tours that are held on wagons ride through the whole area, which is a great way to learn more about the rich history of the fields and relax while soaking in the scenery.

There is also a maze that people can race in to see if they can escape before their friends. Some events coming up at the fields are the Blues Day, the Bonsai Show and Sale, and the Mother’s Day Celebration. Some events to make reservations for are the Sunset Wine Tasting and Food, Girl Scout Day, the Tea in the Garden, and the Basket Weaving Workshops. The Flower Fields are known for being a great place to take pictures as well. Kylie Yum (12) states that “this rainbow-colored field is so breathtaking.”

The Flower Fields are a fun place to explore and make memories with family or friends. It is not offered year-round, so enjoy this beautiful piece of nature soon.