YouTube Headquarters Shooting

Heavy+police+activity+surround+YouTube+Headquarters+as+reports+of+a+female+shooter+quickly+spread.+
Heavy police activity surround YouTube Headquarters as reports of a female shooter quickly spread.

Getty Images

Getty Images

Gabby McCutchan, Photojournalist

The year 2018, the year that many people promised themselves a fresh start, a year that many prayed for happiness and a calm mind. However in these short few months that have passed during 2018, over 30 mass shootings have taken place. Gun violence is the number one talked about topic throughout social media, and the year isn’t even half-way over yet. Jessica Miyahira (10) voices her opinion on these tragedies, “I really hope that the gun violence that happens so often in America doesn’t evolve into a huge trend for not only us but other countries. Stepping outside your house isn’t something that should be feared.” But unfortunately, over the spring break, 2018 was exposed to yet another one of these horrific tragedies, taking place at Youtube Headquarters in San Bruno, California on April 5.

39 year old female suspect Nasim Najafi Aghdam was circulating throughout the feeds of employee twitters after the shooting started. The shooting evidently began around 1pm on Thursday (CNET). The shooter shot three YouTube employees that she did not know. The day before the shooting Aghdam’s car was parked about a city from San Bruno, and police allegedly found her sleeping in her car after her family reported her missing from San Diego, where she resided. Police say that Aghdam was calm and cooperative during the questioning and did not show any frustration for YouTube whatsoever.

The motives of the shooter were due  to the fact that she was highly upset with YouTube’s policies, how they regulated channels to the point where it would stop her videos from gaining views. A website, which is currently under review to check the authorization of it truly belonging to Aghdam, was centered mainly on an opposition to animal cruelty and an animosity to YouTube. One of Aghdam’s posts reads, “There is no equal growth opportunity on YOUTUBE or any other video sharing site, your channel will grow if they want to!!!!! Youtube filtered my channels to keep them from getting views!” (CNN) She had been frustrated with the ways in which YouTube managed their video website for quite some time, but before her hateful attack she had become recently infuriated with YouTube again, according to her brother.

Subsequent to police arriving and scoping the scene, Aghdam’s body was found limp within one of the buildings, as after she had committed the horrific act, she turned it upon herself and took her own life. YouTube’s immediate reaction to this was to improve their security and to allow their employees to take time off if needed, and/or to work from home if they so desired.