Student Spotlight: Grace Campbell

Grace Campbell has traveled far and wide throughout her life and will continue to do so as she sets out on her adventures at Montana State University.

Natalie Jones

Natalie Jones

Jaylin Mandley, Editor

A Mississippian-born girl whose most unexpected hometown has been Alaska is currently a Californian girl headed to Montana. Senior Grace Campbell has lived in six different states throughout her eighteen years in this world. With a father who used to serve in the air force, Grace’s family had to sacrifice their comfortability of location to move around in order to conform to her father’s job locations. Although Grace’s family had to relocate several times throughout the years, each place Grace moved to revealed new opportunities and relationships that eventually led Grace to her home in Yorba Linda, California.

Living in six different states and accumulating to each state’s living conditions have not been easy for Grace and her family, but each destination has provided her with different memories and friendships that she still cherishes while living in her new homeland of California. Grace has lived in Mississippi, Georgia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Alaska, and California. Admittedly, Grace does not have a favorite state since they are all so diverse. While Grace lived the longest in Alaska for seven years, she loved the skiing there. However, now living in California, Grace Campbell (12) loves how she “can drive thirty minutes in any direction and seem to be in a completely different place.”

Grace became a student at Yorba Linda High School during her sophomore year of high school. As soon as she arrived at the school, Grace immediately joined the cross country team because running is a passion of hers. Fast forward two years of dedication to cross country, and Grace became a captain of the cross country team her senior year. As well as running during the fall with the cross country team, Grace continued her love of running even into the spring season with track where she served as a captain of the team for two seasons. According to Grace, being captain has “definitely helped [her] reach out to people and become more approachable.”

Being able to interact with people is apart of what Grace wants to do in her future career. Grace is determined to become a nurse and have a career caring for the wellbeing of others, a skill that she has definitely proven she is capable of with her acquisition of several leadership positions. In the fall, Grace plans to attend Montana State University in Bozeman, Montana, to begin her pathway to nursing.

As she ventures off towards her seventh homeland of Montana, Grace’s ability to conform to her surroundings will make her journey to college a memorable adventure just like all the other six. Surely, Grace will reminisce about her past relationships and opportunities in her previous home states to fuel her drive to explore any future relocations and achievements she makes in her life.